Towing Recovery A-Frame

Sidewinder

The one on our Chieftain ARRV is steel - two man lift for each section.

I think the one on our Militant is steel as well.

The CVR(T) one is noticeably lighter - it's (just) liftable by one person, if they're feeling strong. It's a single piece unit with the smaller side of the A frame hinged.

We have a number of pieces of armour at work and I shudder to think what it would be like to deal with vehicles without the A frame set we have.

The variety of tasks one can achieve in a really safe manner on your own even.

As I near to owning a tracked vehicle of my own it is a piece high on my list to acquire at the same time.

R

Edited by robin craig

The steel 432 ones would work, but you'd need to make some adaptors as the towing eyes are much wider on a cvrt than on an FV430.

Is that why there are hollebone adaptors with the 'vehicle ends' at an angle to the 'hollebone ends', because the narrower distance between the CVR(T) towing eyes?

[by the way, Is the ID of the CVR(T) towing eye 3" or smaller?]

'Chas.'

?ui=2&ik=99b24c3587&view=att&th=14088defbcd0f1a5&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_14088d733c0a4cd2&zw&atsh=1

• 5 months later...

The proper adapters for chieftain and centurion are typically heavy. They connect together using the quick release pins as used with all ARV winching kit.

They are so heavy that whereas with a hollebone set you have a drawbar and a set of adaptors, on an ARV there is a butterfly which locates in the towing eye on the rear of the vehicle, two separate tow bars and then the adapters to suit the tank you wish to tow all connected with 5 QRP s (sorry no photos.)

Hollebones can be used on any vehicle with the correct size NATO hitch, there are four basic pairs of adapters A,B,C & D and specials for 430 series and CVR T.

• 5 months later...
They look like the general purpose adaptors "C" and "D", both 15 tonne's WLL by the looks of things.

The adaptors pictured are from left to right;

1. B type adaptors used to tow Bedford 4 & 8t TM. Apart from being used with the Hollebones to tow they can also used in conjunction with the Bedford adaptor which when fitted to the swivel bar on the boom (under lift) hangs down from the swivel bar and connects to the recovery eye to carry out a suspend tow (Scammell and Foden only).

2. FV430 Series adaptors (as already stated).

3. C type adaptors used to tow Bedford 14t, CVRT etc.

As stated they come as a set of 4 typically called A,B,C,D types adaptors. All are on the CES of Scammell Eka, Foden 6x6 Recovery and MAN SVR.

• 4 years later...

Having had plenty of experience towing with a 434 using the issued one-piece folding A-frame, and towing with both Chieftain ARRV and CRARRV using the much heavier hollebone set which is provided in parts as described above by Dave, looking at the photo of adaptors posted by andym I can confirm that the middle pair of adaptors are part of the 434 CES with the one-piece folding A-frame for towing 430 series vehicles. I'm unsure about the other two pairs of adaptors but I'd say from the size of the holes they would also fit the 434 towing frame.

I have used a 434 to tow a CVRT Spartan a couple of times but it was nearly 30 years back and I cant remember what the adaptors were like.

I know we had a similar system on the Warrior 513 but I never had the chance to use it.

Tim James

• 3 years later...

Reactivating this thread...

This list is on the MRW Precision engineering website

On the XMOD website 076 is listed as a CVRT part - is this correct?? (May 2023). According to the thread above CVRT is Type C

Is there a definitive list anywhere (REME documentation??)

Hollebone Type A  FV 599071 NSN 2540991388335
Hollebone Type A WO FV 599075  
Hollebone Type B FV 599072 NSN 2540991388339
Hollebone Type B WO FV 599076 NSN 2540999775260
Hollebone Type C FV 599073  NSN 2540991388342
Hollebone Type C WO FV 599077  
Hollebone Type D  FV 599074 NSN 2540991388346

Hollebone Type D Blank

FV 599078