British army hospital marquee

ColinR

Question

My group has got there hands on various bits and pieces of the British Army hospital marquee, and was wondering if anyone has info/pamphlets on putting the thing up properly and what kit we should have.

Looked through the net and on the tents info on the forum but can't find much at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is the type below.

marquee.jpg

19 answers to this question

That looks like the Tent, Marquee, Universal, Hospital, Extending 8340-99-942-4586 that is the postwar version. If you are a WW2 group do you have the earlier version JA 2080 with very few "windows"? I wonder do you have the extensions?

Well it should talk 12 men an hour to put up. I have the wartime instructions I can scan in due course.

That looks like the Tent, Marquee, Universal, Hospital, Extending 8340-99-942-4586 that is the postwar version. If you are a WW2 group do you have the earlier version JA 2080 with very few "windows"? I wonder do you have the extensions?

Well it should talk 12 men an hour to put up. I have the wartime instructions I can scan in due course.

Hi, our reenacting group bought this tent a few day ago. But we have no poles. Please, can I ask you for copy of your manual? It would be very very helpful for me.

Thanks so much.

Keith yes that's the wartime version.

Colin can you PM me your email then I'll send you the instructions. It is easier if I photo them as there are 16 pages.

The main description is in the Stores & Clothing Research & Development Establishment - Tents & Shelter in Service & under Development 1973.

The instructions are in this:

App3956.jpg

Here you are Daniel sorry for the delay. But it has taken over an hour to scan it, clean up the images & compile it into a pdf. I am sure there are quicker ways! Although I am using an original document they were produced as print to order & the photo quality of some of these modern documents is appalling. So they are still not very good but they are an improvement on the originals!

You will note a similarity to the earlier document. Even so this later tent, marquee is now obsolete & was replaced by a series of shelters, connectors & passageways comprising Field Force Medical Unit (FFMU) Shelter Complex covered in JSP 361/7.

App3956.jpg

JSP 361-22.pdf

Thank you all very much!

Our tent is marked 1940. But there are not windows in walls sections.

Please, could anybody tell me what the differences are between "walls sections" and "walls end", because I'm afraid we have 4 walls section and no walls ends.

Edited by Danny149

I have got a US hospital marquee dated 1944, rotproof material, no poles and slight fire damage when it was folded (easily fixable) that is surplus to requirements. Would not mind a trade for a smaller military tent complete (eg 9x9) if your group or anyone else is interested? It is in someone else's shed at the moment, in the dry so cannot give the ID/part number on the tag but if anyone is interested in a trade, send me a PM and I will dig it out. Need to collect from WV11, England - very heavy!!!

On 5/3/2020 at 7:29 AM, Saxplayer said:

Hi guys

i appreciate this is an old post . I have the said marquee and was wandering how you were progressing with yours. I’m also looking for replacement sides

shaun 07761091734

Did you find any Shaun...? I'm currently after a pair of wall sections. JA1665. 

The marquee bundles I just picked up was missing one entire side.  🤦

All the best

Wesley 

My group has one of these medical marquees that we're thinking of selling, it's wartime dated (1944?) and is in fairly good condition for its age apart from a couple of (internal) patches that would benefit from replacement as they're not in the correct colour (lighter-coloured modern fabric). 

Is there any interest?

Here's a picture of it from 2018, before covid ruined everything.

image.thumb.jpeg.81fde732362b7a062cca6ccae7b30a1e.jpeg

It's being used for a wedding next weekend, I'll post current pictures of the marquee after this event.