Overlord 2014

R Cubed

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A trifle muddy but good fun nevertheless. Don't let the weather put anyone off.

Good to meet you again, Rosie! :-)

Andy

But it didn't put them off hey?! Good to see you to Andy xxxxx

Just got back as I had a badly planned flight to catch today...

The rest of my group are there and I have to say its a very enjoyable show, nice atmosphere and picked up some nice items from some of the traders

Thanks for that. Glad you enjoyed, sad you had to leave early :(

First time at the show,agreed great atmosphere,seemed well attended and would definitely go back again next year.

and good to meet Clive Elliot for the first time,great source of information.

Arnie and wifey

First time at the show,agreed great atmosphere,seemed well attended and would definitely go back again next year.

and good to meet Clive Elliot for the first time,great source of information.

Arnie and wifey

It's been a busy day today, perhaps not as busy as other years but defo busy! 6 and half hours on the paying in gate again today and the public seem to be very complimentary to. A great time had by all by the looks of it. One more day to go, field pretty dry-ish! Forecast ok, so hoping for another good turn out.

Thank you to the organisers & workers, who worked hard under changing & difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately I decided to abandon ship this morning, after another wet night in a leaking vehicle. I spent each night in Gortex inside my sleeping bag that got rather wet by rain blown in on the journey down (side hatches have to be open for vision).

Sunday seemed to be the star day with lots of visitors & some drying out. Thumbs down to my neighbour who just left his bag of rubbish on the field when the bins were only 50ft away!

I made an unglamorous arrival on Friday.

20140523_135940_resized.jpg

20140523_141256_resized_1.jpg

Hi Clive , was that a planned stopping point or as far as she'd go ? My experience of mud at the Hopfarm was quite positive in my Pig ,selected 4X4 and off we went through some pretty thick bogs ! I guess she's heavy enough to reach down to the hard stuff :D Hope you dry off soon mate ! Such a shame about the rain I hope it didn't dampen any spirits too much ! :D

Andy the choice of route across the field was not of my making! When I arrived to turn into the exhibitor's entrance I was told it was ill advised to enter as I would get stuck. But even though I said I wasn't a re-enactor I was instructed to enter via the exit two fields up.

Seeing another official at that point I continued my journey as instructed. As I drove through the second field heading for the tyre marks you can see on the top photo, I was confronted by a rope over the access to join the lower part of the normal entrance yet there were other vehicles entering by that route from the road with no problems. I lost speed in my sudden detour to a lower access point then flopped in the mud.

I have a picture somewhere of a muddy field in BAOR. It shows a Ferret stuck in mud & a little behind it a Pig similarly stuck. The driver of the Pig told me he knew he would get stuck having seen what happened to the Ferret. I asked why on earth did he make this foolhardy trip across the field when he knew that? The answer was of course "The officer told me to do it!" :-D

It's got hurled off the wheels ok on the wet journey back but some of it has baked on in places but not to worry. The hairy part of the journey was getting to the show because I decided rain or not I was going. The spray from traffic on the M27 wiped out both mirrors & the spray came in because of the open hatches. This caused a lot of wetness over me & my kit, but the condensation on the inside of the windscreens was a problem & the vacuum wipers rather limp as I struggled up hill trying to get from lane 1 to lane 3.

The only thing that prevented a major accident was the rear view camera. Quite cheap now you ought to have one. Also have a forward facing camcorder (only £18 from China) for those occasions when an HGV cuts in just it a bit too fine as a punishment me for being too slow >:(

Well done and thank you to all the organisers and helpers for a great show, you worked your socks off. Only trouble is I can still smell the woodchips! perhaps we can have Lavender scented next time.

Roll on next year.

Cheers

Paul

It's got hurled off the wheels ok on the wet journey back but some of it has baked on in places but not to worry. The hairy part of the journey was getting to the show because I decided rain or not I was going. The spray from traffic on the M27 wiped out both mirrors & the spray came in because of the open hatches. This caused a lot of wetness over me & my kit, but the condensation on the inside of the windscreens was a problem & the vacuum wipers rather limp as I struggled up hill trying to get from lane 1 to lane 3.

The only thing that prevented a major accident was the rear view camera. Quite cheap now you ought to have one. Also have a forward facing camcorder (only £18 from China) for those occasions when an HGV cuts in just it a bit too fine as a punishment me for being too slow >:(

Clive , I take my hat off to you for your determination mate :-D ! I've driven mine in the rain with all hatches open and the grin does slightly wear off as you get drenched by 30mph rain bullets :-D

It is amazing some of the dash cam footage that is shared this days ! Often I wouldn't have believed peoples stupidity had it not been caught on camera , professional drivers and day trippers alike ! Makes me even more cautious when driving ! "Expect the unexpected "

Here's hoping for a lovely sunny next show for you mate (Just not too hot )! :-D

Andy much as disliked this weather it certainly put paid to any worries about hay fever & the rustic smell of wood chips I found quite enchanting & almost therapeutic.

I dread to think how much two large lorry loads of wood chips delivered at short notice would have cost. So well done to someone for organising that because without those deliveries it would have just wiped out the show. I stayed last night because I felt I had committed myself for 3 days I should try to stay for 3 days, but cold wetness I'm afraid got the better of me this morning.

Still trying to figure out why I took the fridge with me :-D

Well done and thank you to all the organisers and helpers for a great show, you worked your socks off. Only trouble is I can still smell the woodchips! perhaps we can have Lavender scented next time.

Roll on next year.

Cheers

Paul

Request noted I will ask them.

Thank you to the organisers & workers, who worked hard under changing & difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately I decided to abandon ship this morning, after another wet night in a leaking vehicle. I spent each night in Gortex inside my sleeping bag that got rather wet by rain blown in on the journey down (side hatches have to be open for vision).

Sunday seemed to be the star day with lots of visitors & some drying out. Thumbs down to my neighbour who just left his bag of rubbish on the field when the bins were only 50ft away!

I made an unglamorous arrival on Friday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91580[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]91579[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't be too embarrassed, we watched a Dodge Weapons Carrier get stuck, then the 1/3 track to rescue it get stuck and then a second 1/2 track had to be called...

thanks to the organisers for a fun weekend highlights watching the reme t a lads getting stuck in their new man truck and ending up taking part in a improvised awol para event in the arena:angel:

low points getting stuck myself today:mad: but thanks to the russian line marke:cool2:r and stewarts maverick truck:cool2: for finally getting me on to harder ground

All good fun playing in the mud, but not for some ......

094_zps7e91b2f1.jpg

beer lorry took a wrong turn, did offer to unload what he had left on it but .....

he chose to be winched out by a Foden wrecker which took most of the day !!!!!

095_zps09190a68.jpg

The star vehicle at the show was this ....

096_zpsd2067b2e.jpg

(before anyone asks, I got permission from his father to post it here)[photo taken on iPhone at about 21:00 hours hence the poor quality.]

What a cool machine and no class H licence needed, he had no trouble getting around and did not get stuck anywhere.

Richard

overlord-2_zpsb5322367.jpg

094.jpg

overlord-3_zpsf50c992d.jpg

overlord-1_zpscd93527a.jpg

Thanks for running the event, lads, much appreciated, met a load of old faces, met a fair few new ones too :)

Didn't need a tow to get out of the mud, which was nice, although some mechanical assistance was required when I went and stuffed up my Series 3 Land Rover's 4WD lever - and locked it into 4WD - on arrival :blush:

Just as well I was camped up with a couple of mechanical geniuses - REME across the Somme-like track with their MAN auto-box road-wheel bogged down "fing", were saying doom and gloom to me like new diff, new transmission, and worse, and along come the geniuses and it's curl of lip, shake of head, much bemusement, and "Oho. You gormless muppit. You went and jammed the four wheel drive lever against the gearbox cover and the four wheel drive lever cover plate! Where's yer screwdriver and mallet?". Fifteen minutes later, all fixed!

So, aside from me apparently being a form of mechanically hapless wossit, and suffering the Son Of Somme conditions in the wet season, it was all fine business for us :)

Needless to say, we'll be back next year :-D