Anyone that served in the Canadian Army UNEF 56th Recce Squadron?

joeferret

Some 56 details below

"The land component, meanwhile, was organised in four newly created units reflecting the functional nature of the Canadian commitment: 56 Canadian Signal Squadron, 56 Canadian Transport Company, 56 Canadian Infantry Workshop and Canadian Base Units, Middle East. Subsequently, when it was found that UNEF lacked a light reconnaissance capability, 56 Canadian Recce Squadron, formed largely from Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) and The Royal Canadian Dragoons, was created and despatched under the designation RAPID STEP 3. It deployed to the Middle East in March 1957, and with its arrival the strength of CANUNEF stood at 1007, all ranks. Its initial task was to occupy a buffer zone between the Egyptian Army and the Anglo-French forces waiting to withdraw. The first to enter this zone were engineers who, from 1 December 1956, began the risky job of clearing mines. Once the foreign forces had withdrawn from Egypt, the main tasks of the Canadians were to conduct reconnaissance, monitor the armistice line, investigate violations and maintain a “UN” presence. 115 ATU meanwhile conducted aerial reconnaissance flights, resupplied UNEF troops, and transported UNEF senior personnel to meetings in Egypt and Israel."

Source , Canadain Forces Archives.

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

• 2 weeks later...
Joe,

you might want to join Maple Leaf Up and post on their forum as well.

Likely more responses

R

Robin thank you very much...I had never heard of them.........I can't get enough of this stuff........:DThanks again..........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84402[/ATTACH] Just after unloading at Port Said, Egypt. 56 Squadron gets ready to begin it's role in UNEF. My Ferret 506 is clearly seen on the left.

I have seen that picture a few times Duffy....That's nice you have a picture of yours....Mine must be in there some where.....Can't wait to see a picture of mine someday.....That guy on the front right must have a sore butt from driving all day...LOL...

Edited by joeferret

Some 56 details below

"The land component, meanwhile, was organised in four newly created units reflecting the functional nature of the Canadian commitment: 56 Canadian Signal Squadron, 56 Canadian Transport Company, 56 Canadian Infantry Workshop and Canadian Base Units, Middle East. Subsequently, when it was found that UNEF lacked a light reconnaissance capability, 56 Canadian Recce Squadron, formed largely from Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) and The Royal Canadian Dragoons, was created and despatched under the designation RAPID STEP 3. It deployed to the Middle East in March 1957, and with its arrival the strength of CANUNEF stood at 1007, all ranks. Its initial task was to occupy a buffer zone between the Egyptian Army and the Anglo-French forces waiting to withdraw. The first to enter this zone were engineers who, from 1 December 1956, began the risky job of clearing mines. Once the foreign forces had withdrawn from Egypt, the main tasks of the Canadians were to conduct reconnaissance, monitor the armistice line, investigate violations and maintain a “UN” presence. 115 ATU meanwhile conducted aerial reconnaissance flights, resupplied UNEF troops, and transported UNEF senior personnel to meetings in Egypt and Israel."

Source , Canadain Forces Archives.

Cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

Thank you..............

• 8 years later...