1955 Bedford RL Ex AFS

Austin

Hello to all on HMVF!

This thread is to document my brother Aaron's Bedford RL restoration. We purchased it unseen from ebay, with a view to restoring and rallying the vehicle. It was described as running and driving, but needing a battery and petrol, when it was delivered we found the engine had seized due to being stood.

Ebay picture attached.

We hope to use the restoration to further our welding and fab skills, so any tips or ideas will be taken onboard!

Thanks,

Austin

12250_700w.jpg

I'll add a few more pictures of progress that we've made.

Oil bath air filter was full of water/oil emulsion so was removed from the truck for a clean-up and repaint.

The air filter element has been cleaned in parts wash solvent and petrol.

CYMERA_20131112_132605.jpg

CYMERA_20131112_132739.jpg

CYMERA_20131112_140325.jpg

CYMERA_20131112_132551.jpg

Just getting upto date with a couple of pictures, the first is Aaron using twisted wire wheel on the angle grinder on thw spare wheel carrier.

The second is a cleaned up twin jerry can holder, and painted in etch primer.

Does anybody have any doors for sale?

CYMERA_20131110_115737.jpg

CYMERA_20131110_133334.jpg

Thanks Simon, we had noticed that in a few places that have been stripped and etched were starting to show a little surface rust after about 3 weeks. Obviously, we want to keep rust away as best as possible but keep a standard gloss look to the chassis (no underseat or stone chip type paints).

We are doing the work outside until a unit becomes available.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little update, we have bought a full manual for the R series trucks, so now know what various oils we need. Anybody able to tell us what the modern equivalent OMD 330 is?

The pictures attached are of the old grill badge and the new one, again bought from everybody's favourite auction site, it came on a replacement top grill panel too, which is a huge bonus as the original had rotted the whole bottom off.

CYMERA_20131116_162158.jpg

CYMERA_20131117_132158.jpg

That's true Andy and let me tell you this bloody old age isn't all it's cracked up to be:( .....the only consolation is all you young whippersnappers have got it all to come:-D

I liked Mr Dimbleby's quote when recently asked about his new tattoo " You're only old once " :-D

Quick little update, we have bought a full manual for the R series trucks, so now know what various oils we need. Anybody able to tell us what the modern equivalent OMD 330 is?

OMD330 is actually a straight SAE50 engine oil and used in the gearbox, and I recollect it continued to be used in the MK and MJ gearboxes too.

Edited by Richard Farrant
reworded to make sense

Just getting upto date with a couple of pictures, the first is Aaron using twisted wire wheel on the angle grinder on thw spare wheel carrier.

The second is a cleaned up twin jerry can holder, and painted in etch primer.

Does anybody have any doors for sale?

Hi there!

Looks good, always a nice feeling to see progress! Interesting that it has a spare wheel carrier as many AFS vehicles did not as the bodywork was slightly different to military RLs with wooden lockers underneath the main body. I co-own an ex-AFS RL petrol carrier which dates from the mid-60s and the spare has to live in the back as there is no space to even fit a spare wheel carrier on it! I wonder whether yours has at some stage lost the original body and had the carrier added or if a replacement AFS cab has been placed onto an ex-MOD chassis?

You can see the lockers on the petrol carrier on both sides:

IMG_6943 - c.jpg

IMG_6941 - a.jpg

The badge looks good - I had the one on my green goddess re-chromed (at some expense!) but it does finish the front off nicely.

Interesting you're in Downholland in Lancs, too - my parents live that way and at least part of the fleet still lives up there!

Cheers, Duncan.

You might have a point there Duncan, MOD chassis with Home Office cab. What length is the chassis?

Just looking at info in handbooks reveals that;

RLC (MOD Chassis cab) = 246 inch.

RLB RLD (MOD Cargo / Charging body) = 250.4 inch.

RLW (MOD Chassis cab with winch) = 249.6 inch.

RLF (MOD Cargo body with winch) = 259.6 inch.

RLH (Home Office chassis) = 268.1 inch.

I think this is an RLC (B/D) chassis as it has the low spare wheel carrier. The extra length in the RLW looks to be due to winch fairleads and the RLF body has the spare wheel fitted between the cab and body (the low spare carrier would foul the winch) causing a longer overhang at the back.

The Home Office body is longer but not as wide as the MOD type.

Hi Duncan,

That's an interesting point regarding the rear body, we've been looking at various pictures and have noticed that we have an unusual set-up regarding locker boxes, spare wheel carrier and curved rear mudguards.

We do have a contract number on a tag on the dashboard, but a quick google search revealed nothing. I have attached a picture. The text reads BODY CONTRACT No 6/VEH/20602/CB 27.

Also Duncan, if you are ever in the area, the kettle is always on so call in for a cuppa!

Austin.

EDIT - I'll get the measuring tape and see what length ours is tonight. Thanks for the info Croc!

CYMERA_20131204_154755.jpg

Edited by Austin
I hadn't seen Croc's post before replying.

The weldathon continues....I'm not patching any rusty holes, I'm cutting out the rusted areas and welding fresh steel in, Im not really an experienced welder or fabricator, but have a good MIG and lots of grinding disks to clean up the bird poo!

In the first piece you can see the previous panel I had started to weld in, but I wasn't happy so cut out a new larger section. Second picture is all welding done (for today!).

CYMERA_20131212_165751.jpg

CYMERA_20131212_184556.jpg

• 3 months later...

Update time. We've been quite busy with the truck since my last post, with lots of welding, sanding and painting... I'll let the pictures do the talking.

20140209_154953_zpsa76de738.jpg

20140209_154948_zpsd65c54e7.jpg

20140209_172304_zps2d336ac4.jpg

20140209_184653_zpsa2487997.jpg

For the left side it was good enough to repair rather than replace.

CYMERA_20140305_144003_zps820d75b7.jpg

CYMERA_20140305_145052_zps0bffb967.jpg