• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could they locate airfields? Perhaps put out of action due to bombing? Red and blue indicating degree of damage?

Robert

Robert not airfields these are "posts" that are non-operational for one of two reasons indicated by the colour uppermost.

Would red be casualty and blue be logistics (reason for non-operational status)?

Lauren no not that. I think I'm going to have to say the reasons as it so difficult to guess then I think people would stand a reasonable chance of working out the units that used these OPs and the purpose.

Blue point - Nobody there

Red point - Telephone fault (should have stuck one of those on my house for 2.5 weeks!)

Does the white "C" indicate the arc of observed area? Artillery observation post maybe
Nope Richard the gap is solely so that the designation of the OP can be identified on the map.

(I had a good sleep thanks! :-))
Umm just got up then?

Is this observation posts looking for the infrared/optical transmissions from a while ago? That would make sense for a telecoms-out marker. Or maybe looking for semaphore/aldiss-lamp relays?

Lauren nope but some good lateral thinking that is needed as there has been a lot of focus on artillery etc. These counter discs, as I said earlier, were in used mid 50s to mid 90s.

are these maned by the royal observer corp

Yes Wally spot on. These represent ROC fallout monitoring posts & in the mapping room the disc placed on the map board drew attention to the fact that for whatever reason they were non-functional.

In fact one forum member has one of these OPs, I thought he was going to come on & get the answer!