Jeep in a crate

Nick Johns

• 3 weeks later...

Its not a Jeep in a crate I know but the other day I was working in a Barn that was lined out with Jeep crates, the markings are clear to see and there was dates etc stamped on the panels, this barn is about 2 miles from the Welland Show Ground, I did ask if there was any still with the iron bit inside??

Fairbairn Sykes

Its not a Jeep in a crate I know but the other day I was working in a Barn that was lined out with Jeep crates, the markings are clear to see and there was dates etc stamped on the panels, this barn is about 2 miles from the Welland Show Ground, I did ask if there was any still with the iron bit inside??

I would think without doubt that these crates came from Ashchurch. The US Army was based there during the war and the crates were brought in from the docks, presume Bristol. There was an assembly line set up there.

Richard, you are bang on the mark regards the crates (empty that is) the now owner told me his Grandad collected the packing chests from the Camp F.O.C. with just a small drink being pressed into the hand of him that knows stuff, plus the fact that they later bought a few Jeeps as they were sold off to use around their Farm, I can recall a Farm at Strensham (near the M5 J8) using a Jeep engine to keep open the Farm Gate upto at least the mid 1990's, the engine had turned into a brown mass but it was totaly complete with Carb and plugs etc.

Fairbairn Sykes

Richard, you are bang on the mark regards the crates (empty that is) the now owner told me his Grandad collected the packing chests from the Camp F.O.C. with just a small drink being pressed into the hand of him that knows stuff, plus the fact that they later bought a few Jeeps as they were sold off to use around their Farm, I can recall a Farm at Strensham (near the M5 J8) using a Jeep engine to keep open the Farm Gate upto at least the mid 1990's, the engine had turned into a brown mass but it was totaly complete with Carb and plugs etc.

Fairbairn Sykes

In one of the All American Wonder books on the Jeep, there is a write up on the Ashchurch assembly depot. They must have had so much packing case wood they would not know what to do with it!

I wonder who will be the first to have one validated by the MVT as a "1944" willys MB.

Oh and by the way, they were all issued to either 101st or 82nd Airbourne. :):)

Ah yes, of course: these are airborne jeeps issued in the original crates they were dropped in :D:D

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...