Is there a way to replace deactivation certificates ?

g0ozs

Dear all

My late father had a number of mostly old spec deactivated firearms - I believe from receipts and other correspondence found so far in his papers most of them came from World Wide Arms and D&B. All of them have the correct proof house marks but I have so far been unable to find all of the deactivation certificates. Has anyone had that situation before and is there a way to get replacements from the proof house given the firearm serial number ? Nearly all have a Birmingham mark if that makes any difference.

I also need to get them valued for probate - the local auctioneer and RFD near his home considered it beyond their expertise so I agreed with the solicitor to arrange it myself. Can anyone recommend a dealer in East Anglia who could do that and who would potentially buy them ? I did contact WWA but they told me that they don't buy individual deacts.

Regards

Iain

PS Before anyone asks I am unlikely to be in a position to sell them before Easter

u can ring and arrange a visit with london proof house did this about 3 years ago for one of my deacs with awol cert, new cert then 40 quid ish! and no they did not do any work to make it new spec if and i dont think it does apply to lmgs.

Edited by griff66

Griff

Thanks. Do they visit me or me visit them (I'd much prefer the latter if only I dont want to take a bag of the things into London on the train!!!) ? Can they replace certs originally issued by Birmingham ? There are no LMGs in the collection.

Regards

Iain

You travel to them. They inspect and if there are no issues they issue you with a new certificate. The proofhouses recognize each others marks, so that's not an issue.

As regards values, spend some time looking at Milweb, Gunstar, dealer websites, etc.

BTW. Deactivation standards aren't retroactive so new certificates can be issued for old specs without them needing to be redone to current spec.

you travel to them its in a very average part of london white chapel, j ripper territory! old building surrounded by kebab shops ! 1 or 2 parking spots right outside proof house when u knock on front door its like going back to victorian age if u go up there you will see what i mean!:cool2:

Edited by griff66