Do I need my trailer testing etc ?

Mk3iain

Question

Help !

I have been refurbishing a trailer to tow behind my Militant, I found it on EBay while looking for a Rubery Owen/ Brockhouse 10t light recovery trailer (still looking). It is well on it's way just needs side marker lights fitting and a replacement air tank with fitting for a RE-6 relay valve.

Trailer.jpg

My main question is does it need testing, it is for private use only ?

I did have all the ratings for it but don't have this info to hand anymore, I suppose this would also have to be determined ?:undecided:

Many thanks !

Iain

6 answers to this question

Help !

I have been refurbishing a trailer to tow behind my Militant, I found it on EBay while looking for a Rubery Owen/ Brockhouse 10t light recovery trailer (still looking). It is well on it's way just needs side marker lights fitting and a replacement air tank with fitting for a RE-6 relay valve.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83527[/ATTACH]

My main question is does it need testing, it is for private use only ?

I did have all the ratings for it but don't have this info to hand anymore, I suppose this would also have to be determined ?:undecided:

Many thanks !

Iain

If it was built pre 1960 and used unladen then yes exempt

If post 1960 or being used to carry a load then yes it needs testing

(Why not just test it anyway..................can be no arguments then!!)

If post 1960, then what is the cut-off for testing?

I guess it is weight of trailer, but laden or unladen?

On the basis that overrun braked trailers seem to go up to 3.5t gross, I wonder if this is the limit?

But that might be for overrun braked only - what about trailers like the one above which is air braked?

If post 1960, then what is the cut-off for testing?

I guess it is weight of trailer, but laden or unladen?

On the basis that overrun braked trailers seem to go up to 3.5t gross, I wonder if this is the limit?

But that might be for overrun braked only - what about trailers like the one above which is air braked?

I an guessing that it will be its laden (or plated) weight

If it has never been plated then it will need to go through that process

Will double check my reference material when I get home

Hi Iain, Hope you are well, we should really organise a pub run to discuss this sort of thing. Your main problem with a trailer behind the Milly, is that if it is used for transport rather than Recovery then the Milly could need testing.:undecided:

Overrun brakes are indeed allowed up to maximum 3.5 tonnes gross trailer weight, but since December 2012 they are banned for new build drawbar turntable trailers.

If you had a living van on that trailer, 'permanently affixed' you could tow it, but otherwise it has to be empty if you want to run under the pre-1960 exemption.

That's my understanding of the current law.

Peter

Thanks guys.

I will have to find the data plate but I think it is rated around 15t Gross, so I need to get a new air tank etc and get it all sorted. Both the Milly and trailer are post 1960, so not looking at any exemption for age. Meanwhile I may as we'll get the Milly Inspected, it should be up to standard anyway, and then get the trailer inspected as well. At least then if it all goes horribly wrong, my insurance company (who will be informed) won't walk away.

I intend to put the trailer to use, private none profit etc only, although not of military origin should look OK until I get a 10t light recovery trailer!

Iain

Edited by Mk3iain
A bit more