Lancaster crash, finding relatives.

Enigma

Hello everybody,

I am a detector enthousiast and I recently found something interesting. I have been searching a field in Heerewaarden for a couple of years now, and recently I found a piece of aluminium with a serial number on it. I did not know that a Lancaster crashed in that region, but I suspected that this piece could be from an airplane because it had the number on it. Through some research I found out that the Lancaster crashed on this site and I would like to know if other parts of the plane have ever been salvaged. I also would like to come in contact with relatives of the crew, in order to be able to offer this piece I found to them. Could anyone help me with this?

With deep respect,

Patrick Janssen.

Contact me via e-mail at pat00041975@gmail.com

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jane said:

Hi there, 

Sidney Joseph Malaband was my Uncle, my Mother Jane (Malaband) his sister. 

Sadly I never met Uncle Sidney as he died before I was born.

Jane Lesley Houghton.

perth WA.

Hi Jane, we must be cousins somewhat removed, Sidney was a cousin of my grandmother Florence.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/24/2019 at 12:34 PM, Jane said:

Hi there, 

Sidney Joseph Malaband was my Uncle, my Mother Jane (Malaband) his sister. 

Sadly I never met Uncle Sidney as he died before I was born.

Jane Lesley Houghton.

perth WA.

Sidney Joseph Malaband

Avro Lancaster.

On 22 June 1944 an Avro Lancaster from the 106th  Squadron crashed just outside the village of Heerewaarden in the Netherlands. All crewmembers were killed by this crash.

Sidney Joseph Malaband from Aldridge Staffordshire was on this plane

Sidney was the son of Samuel and Rose Malaband. The community of Heerewaarden wants to place a memorial plaque at the site where those brave airmen lost their life’s .

We would like to place a picture of Sidney on the memorial. Please assist us to find a photo of Sidney!  Ask your parents and grandparents if they can help us.

Lest we forget!

• 6 months later...

This morning I attended the unveiling of a information panel near the crashsite of the Lancaster.

In attendance was a family member of Loughborough, and representatives from Canada and Australia.

Also Gijs who was involved from the beginning and those who are busy to get more of these panels for other crews in the area. More people attended ofcourse but my memory isn't very good so sorry I can't mention everyone.

A coincidence was that 2 young people passing by on bicycles stopped and turned out to be Australian tourists who stayed for the unveiling.

The weather was lovely with sunshine and it was nice and warm.

Afterwards we went to the nearby visitors centre "De Grote Rivieren" for drinks.

All in all a good morning and goes to show people remember those who fought (and often died)  for our freedom.

LEST WE FORGET!

20231010_111011 - kopie.jpg

IMG_6763 (Groot).JPG

IMG_6768 (Groot).JPG

Edited by Enigma
  • Like 2