Mack M123 truck 1:24 scratch

rolf mulder

Rolf is a man after me own heart. You should see some of the other stuff he's built....just amazing...& all in a 'proper scale' too (1/24th):banana:

I believe I supplied the tyres for the Mack (ex KFS Stalwart 14.00 x 20):D

More pics please Rolf:bow:

Howard @ KFS

Here are some pictures of the building-proces sofar of this nice machine. It is a fully scratch-built of a first series Mack M123 6x6 tractor. The first series used a gasoline engine (to be recognized by the absence of an airfilter on the right fender). It also used side mounted exhaustst and small rear view mirrors. In the original manual I've found some information about a winterization kit which included isolation blankets, additional heaters and isolation on hoses, lines etc.

m123_update_10-12-31a002.jpg

m123_update_10-12-19a001.jpg

m123_update_12-07-20002.jpg

m123_update_12-02-11004.jpg

m123_update_12-09-06007.jpg

m123_update_12-09-06001.jpg

m123_update_12-07-20009.jpg

The trailer by the way is a rather rare lowbed semitrailer which was used in combination with this mack and other large tractors like the Pacific M26.

Rolf

• 1 month later...

Well, after taking care of some dust the mack is on my bench again.

During the annual IPMS Netherlands show I noticed it was the third year in a row that I showed this model as an "in progress". I decided to finish this one asap, maybe for march but at least before the next shows in september/oktober.

I started of with building the rear-brakes. Also some wiring to the headlights, taillights and siren. Also some more isolation under the left fender. Although this is going to be a curbside model I did build (part of) an engine, gearbox etc. Because this baby sits rather high on his massive wheels you can easily peep "upskirt", therefore a hint of a drivetrain is installed.

Pics:

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

Rolf

• 1 month later...
changes a scratch-project into an "ordinary" scale model

I know what you mean exactly, I have a scratch built model traction engine that is still in bare metal for that very reason.

It will never be painted.

Nice job you are doing by the way!

Although the primer was already a kind of army-green the Mack still needed its proper OD. So over the primer I applied a black pre-shade:

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

Then mixed two shade of Olive Drab with clearcoat. This makes a semi-transparent that allows me to control the amount of shade that is still visible. it's hard to see on the pictures but the "depth" is there:

IMG_5736.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

I know the hood is bad but it will be covered by the hoodcover from the winterization kit

Rolf