Mini Jeep nears completion

rog8811

I posted a couple of photo's some time ago of an on/off project that I was building as time allowed, well this week end will see it done with a bit of luck. I will post a couple of various stages to bring it up to date.

sheetwork done01.jpg

Starting point was a Westwood garden tractor, two years later it looked like picture 2.

Over recent weeks I have had plenty of "me time" so a lot of the small fiddly bits got done.

corners in02a.jpg

Throttle assembly, corner handles and the like. I tried out a SWB land rover side facing seat but was not happy with the look of it so.....

seats sm02.jpg

A bit of frame chopping and some tube clamps had the seating arrangements done!

seats sm04.jpg

Battery box access under seats.

This was where I was at last week. next post will be todays progress.

bigger01a.jpg

pedal assy06.jpg

seats sm01.jpg

seats sm03.jpg

I had one of those days when it all went right, lots done.

footwells02.jpg

Last of the sheet metalwork, the footwells, cut-folded-welded-painted.

wood02.jpg

All the interior woodwork laid around the garden and painted

wiring01.jpg

First bit of green! and the wires started for connecting up the battery.

I hope to update over the week end....as long as Mrs rog doesn't have anything else planned for me;)

footwells01.jpg

wood01.jpg

green01.jpg

You want hoses? Have some hoses.

hoses01.jpg

I am only going to fit this transaxle if the old one turns out to be iffy as I had done all the hard work to get the gear stick to work on the steering column...... I have something else in mind for this one:cool2:

Today was to be a busy painting day but due to rain I did a bit of painting in the workshop/welding shop/garage and mrs rog's potting shed then ran out of room.

paint02.jpg

The black was fresh and wet, it dulls down as it dries.

paint03.jpg

paint01.jpg

... I ran out of paint today with the screen and 2 wheels yet to paint so I set my self the task of getting the jeep wired up and running. First item to fit was the newly painted tub.

tub on01.jpg

Followed by the grill with its lights.

grill wired03.jpg

Then the dash........

dash in01.jpg

I spent the next hour fitting and clipping in place the wiring loom.

I checked everything over with a meter to make sure I had got the wiring right and then connected the battery, added some fuel, turned the key and away she went!

After a few seconds I could smell fuel and there was a lot of smoke rising from the exhaust manifold, investigation quickly established that a rotten fuel pipe was the culprit.

fuel leak01.jpg

New pipe on order and a cold beer cracked to finish a good day.:D

• 3 weeks later...

When I was fitting the new petrol hose it occurred to me that to turn the fuel on and off would require the bonnet to be opened, today I made a dash mounted shut off utilising a shortened speedo cable and a universal joint. It works fine as long as it isn't done up too tight.

Tap parts03.jpg

Tap parts01.jpg

Tap parts02.jpg

Edited by rog8811

....Oh and I fitted all the body work...

I have yet to paint the front wheels green but I will do that once I have had a chance to give it a run out.... tomorrow maybe if I get the time to fully reassemble it that is.

Looking bloody good there mate!

• 4 weeks later...

Best laid plans and all that mean that at last today I got to give the jeep a bit of a run, I took a couple of pici's outside

sideview01.jpg

......and put together a movie I took whilst driving it.

So there it is, all done. If anyone is interested in a one off show ground transport I can be persuaded to part with it for the right kind of money.