TRIUMPH 3HW WWII Pictures

fcortese

If the frame is original and not supplied as a later spare part then it was delivered under S6680, the last wartime contract of 8000 machines scheduled for delivery at 1200 per month commencing January 1945. It would definitely have been finished in 'British Olive Drab' which was a shade off the US colour but intended to be compatible with US vehicles serving alongside.

In fact, due to the ending of the war in the Far East, production was curtailed at 5200 machines (at TL48617).

CR 26 S6680 R.JPG

Hi Tony .

Must admit to being a bit confused you  indicated that the frame number was TL46008 and initially that the date under the seat was 1944 ....it's really useful to have photos of Frame and engine numbers etc as it's not uncommon for these to have been changed over the bikes life as you can see if you look at other threads on the forum . 

The frame number correlates.to a contract in 1944 but the frame if dated 07 45 would not match with that date unless it's a replacement frame ? So we have 2 potential contract dates for the frame 44 or 45 and a potentially a 3rd different contract date for the engine .

The petrol tank appears to have the features of a triumph 3sw which could be potentially from a much earlier. Wartime bike ..

Would it be ok if we got some more photos to help you understand the bikes composition

Chris AKA Jenkinov

Is it me, or is that frame number actually TL 46508? Engine number is interesting, reading as 3HW 56508. Am I right in thinking that would be the original engine for the frame if I’m reading that frame number correctly? Also, did anyone else notice the spurious 7 stamped above the 0 on the engine number? Wonder what happened there? Someone in a hurry to get to the NAAFI wagon for their tea and bun?

Edited by ltwtbarmy

I've never seen a  stamping on a post 1940 Triumph frame like that on Tony's. I expect if you clean off the paint, there will be evidence of grinding/filing and maybe signs of the original number like on the engine.

Here are  my two post 1940 Triumph frame numbers.  Ron 

3HW 098.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by Ron
Edited as I got confused over the numbers!!

For added information about the WD Triumph frame numbers. From pre war the frame number was stamped around the top rim of the headstock, and often repeated on the lug under the saddle.  But from mid 1940 onwards, somewhere between frame numbers TL 17457 and TL 19652 it was moved to the left hand side of the headstock. 

Here is a better shot of my 5SW and my earlier 3SW.

DSCF3350.jpg

3SW 004 (2).jpg

Hi Tony

Thank you for sending in the additional photos and allowing the forum to investigate and discuss the bike. We had indicated that bikes are often 're stamped . Your frame has contradictory stamping . Firstly let's confirm that it's definitely a military frame . There are a number of visual tell tales and these are present . The date under the frame is TE0745 .this is in the correct style and form and the true date of the frame .

The visible frame stamp of TL46508 has been added at a later date  .As Ron has suggested if you are I interested in u understanding more about this stamp you would need to clean the area and remove the paint plus send in additional photos additional 

The Engine is clearly a military 3HW engine and dates to 1944. It's from contract s5430 a further photo of the engine number would be helpful as the 4th character is a bit unclear and their appears to be a faint additional stamp possibly a 7

The early triumph 3HWs did have the full petrol tank but by 1944 or 45 the tank would have had a cut corner to have the air filter .so the tank correlates  the style of an early 3HW or 3SW  but photos of the underside of the tank will confirm it's identity

As ever we request more photos but they are key in identification 

Regards

Chris AKA Jenkinov

Were Triumph frames supplied as spare parts stamped with a frame number ? Presumably not or there would be gaps in the production sequences or substantial quantities of survivors with 'spare part frame numbers'.

It's clear that later Norton spare frames (and there were 10% of machines supplied for most contracts) were unstamped...If this is the case with Triumph too, then there may not be a number underneath the crude stamping;..It may simply have been a copy of a damaged frame number stamped on by a REME fitter in the late 1940s.

Hi 79x100 

Yes I fully agree.with all you observations ..we can be confident that the frame is military and built in 0745 

If the frame number is cleaned up more we can hopefully identify if this is a spare frame to which an number has been added or a re stamped Frame ..unfortunately it's all speculation until the.frame is cleaned .

Regards 

Chris AKA Jenkinov

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am Stef from Belgium and I have a few old motorcycles pre 1950's.  Now I bought a Triumph,  the first in my collection, so I don't have experience with it.   

It is a 3HW and I was looking for some documentation when I found this forum.   

Very usefull information!!!

Can someone help me to identify my bike please?    

Several years ago it is repainted in black/grey so I don't know the original colour.

The petrol tank has the cut out on the right side. 

Under the seat is the stamp:  TE0145  so this mean Januari  1945 ?

On the left side of the frame is the stamp: TL53184

The stamp on the engine is:  3HW63418

Any information is welcome! thanks!

PS:  sorry for my bad Englisch,  I never speak or write in Englisch...

Regards,

Stef.

Stef that is effectively a matching numbers bike (Triumph did it like that at that time) TL 53184 is the 2767th bike from 3000 from contract C8886 which were delivered between Ocr44 and Feb45. I calculate the tank census number to be C4856946.

Ron

• Like 1

Hello Ron,

Thanks a lot for the information!  I am glad to hear it is a matching numbers bike. 

Firts I will clean the engine, carburettor and the bike.   The engine has compression,  I see a little blue spark at the spark plug....

I can take all the gears.     The inside of the tank is dirty, so I have to clean.  

I give more information later.

Thanks,

Stef.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't believe my luck finding this forum by chance when looking for information on the types of bikes used by British DR's during the Italian compaign 1943+. I had an uncle who was a DR during that campaign and I would like to make a scale model of a bike that he might of ridden. There is a 1:9th model kit available of a 3HW that would make a perfect starting point for this project and the knowledge that members of this forum obviously have, would be invaluable to me. Particularly colours and markings.

I notice that the last post on this thread was May 10th 2021, Am I too late to ask questions?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Colin King