Combat Cap 1950's

Colebrook

Correct - they are early 50's cold weather issue as part of the Korean war developed cold weather gear which lead to the 1952 pattern gear.

Often with these caps the makers name and date is under the semi-opaque liner in the top of the cap. Sometimes if you press down this liner down quite firmly you can read the manf details through the liner...

Jason is again correct.....these are the 1950s pattern army issue combat cap, developed in the late 1940s and made from double-thickness proofed cotton gabardine........this cap remained unchanged from trial through to the early 1970s when replaced by the DPM combat cap from 1972 onward...........most production appears to be from the early 1950s with little if any latter manufacture........uncommon today in large sizes but smaller sizes (below a 7) still fairly easy (and cheap) to source........

Only ever made in olive drab, the RAF had their own pattern (for aircrew) that is different and made (initially) in blue-grey, latter green and in production up to the 1970s......

Manufacturers details, dates and sizing are beneath the oilcloth crown shield......either printed onto the inner of the cap fabric or on a paper label.............:D

Here are the RAF ones, one blue and one tan, both labelled (both RAF stores numbers), found while searching for something completely different, these turned up recently from a garage clearance in London with boxes of webbing etc.

The blue caps black side buttons are black plastic, Kings crown type.

With these caps there is also one the same as at the start of this thread, no makers mark/date that I can see, but on the inside of the leather sweat band, there is what seems a very faint AID stamp, this would make it RAF I believe ?

Regards Gary

racaptan.JPG

rafcaptan1.JPG

rafcap.JPG

rafcap2.JPG

Thank you Gary.

I actually have the khaki cotton type too and thought it was army.

Just need to get my hands on a blue/grey cap for my post war RAF bits and bobs.

Went up to Hendon today, I have not been for years. Very nice day out it was too.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hell Jason....talk about throwing a spanner in the works !!!!

I think the blue-grey one is still RAF, but a variant....? Any labels/marks ?

As for the faux leather type, again I suspect either RAF or RN.....? The latter maybe to go with the oilskin waterproofs...? Made by John Compton Sons & Webb (JCS & W)............

I have really no ideas........>:(

And another one - black, thick faux fur lining and face cover. Thought it was a civilian hat but has broadarrow markings....any thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80585[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80590[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80589[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80588[/ATTACH]

Sabre sales have a similar one currently listed on Ebay......same apart from a lighter lining and pin-head size.......described as a RN 1950s Korean War era Naval arctic/cold weather cap.........they may be correct.....?

• 3 months later...