Would it be wise to drive a militant back 200 odd mikes home?

Would that be the one on Milweb Bill ??

As long as it is mechanically sound, all the levels are topped up and your gentle with it I should think it no more a risk than anything else. I did a 300 mile round trip in my DT a few years ago and had no problems at all accept the dent in my wallet for the fuel. Take some tools, string, insulation tape and light bulbs though.

Edited by diamond-t-steve

Are you talking a Mk 1 or a Mk 3??? Top whack on a Militant Mk 1 is circa 30 mph. It was bad enough on motorways back in the Seventies - not sure how it would be these days with increased vehicle performance. With breaks etc. you are looking at around a 9 hour run at least as most of the time you won't be doing 30. We used to work on an average of 15 to 20 max.

If you absolutely have to do it with a new (to you) vehicle then carry a full tool kit plus spare belts, hoses and bulbs as said. Make sure you have a nice bright orange flashy light on the back and new reflective panels. And negotiate breakdown cover with Autohome just in case the worst happens.

Driving a Militant is not like a modern vehicle - they are demanding on both physical and mental levels. No power steering and crash boxes plus strong return springs on the throttle and brake and clutch. Cabs get hot too. Everything in the cab rattles and conversation with a co-driver is virtually impossible. We used to rig-up motorcycle intercom systems when I drove them for 215 RCT (VR) in the early 1970's. I did over 1000 miles in one during a Crusader exercise in Germany one year and at the end of it felt like I'd gone through a mangler backwards......

Bloody good fun to play with though and I have no regrets!! :D

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Take what it would cost you in fuel, add a bit to it, and just hire a transporter. Ask the seller if he knows someone who could drop it off.

This can be not unreasonable as long as you don't need it done on a particular day at a particular time.

I bought a '41 Chevy cargo a few months back and the owner drove it from Hythe, Kent to sunny South Lincs no problem at all, he KNEW the truck though and had confidence in it, I don't think I as the new owner would have dared do the same :D As suggested can you not get the owner to meet you half way ? That way if he's willing it shows he's has confidence in it's mechanical reliability. If you have to drive it I would take plenty of tools, brake fluid, water, oil, cable ties etc. An orange flashing lamp connected to a spare 12v battery at the rear is a good idea it catches peoples attention while they are busy on their mobiles :D Good luck.

From wales to Brentwood Essex, its all round 400 miles there to our yard then the low loadeds bit of milage from there yard, I've asked a few and they said the same price? I suppose a low loader now days does about 1 pound the mile, so about £500 diesel, people can't be wanting £600 for a days work? Its crazy, does anyone no of a low loaders around Essex Brentwood, or wales Chester way?

Bill.

would i drive it on a motorway at 30 -35 mph no i would not, do it over a couple of days on quieter roads , find a nice place to stay with your dad, take it easy and enjoy the the journey not have it become a nightmare!( after 60 miles in a ferret i need a serious lie down then cold beer!)