prices of deac weapons at war and p show !

griff66

indeed it is getting expensive. exept for a deact hand grenade i did not find anything in my budget.

last year i got a mosin nagant without the stock.

i am saving up to have my dutch .38 smith and wesson deact, in a uk accepted way (did talk about it at the show and 1000 pounds comes first) same with my dutch rifle deacts, bought for a nice price, needs work to get in this country.

i saw air soft as a decent replacement till i got told about the vcra bit, so i got for this year, a bright orange glock 17 blank fire.

had fun in the back of the ex raf landy :-) take things easy, prices drop when no one buy from them ( there is always the one who can...) ps, is there a legal vcra approved c96 broom handle, or P08 blank fire?

Arjan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of some photos of the Mk5 STEN? Last one I saw from the same dealer was a real piece of work, it didn't have the back end of the bolt fitted, it just had the cocking handle crudely welded in place.

What Webley parts do you need?

I don't have any pics I'm afraid. I don't recall exactly how the cocking handle was attached although I know it wouldn't move. Interestingly the barrel nut wasn't welded on (unlike the rest in the pile) although it didn't seem to unscrew, just move slightly.

I'm after the following Webley MkIV bits:

Cam lever fixing screw

Cylinder stop axis pin

Cylinder stop

Cylinder stop spring

Plunger

Plunger pin

Plunger spring

Or to summarise, I need a cam lever fixing screw plus a complete cylinder stop assembly plus the pin that holds it in the frame. I'm also after a pair of grips: I've ordered some from Target Arms, but the proprietor seems to have gone on his hols or something as this was nearly 2 weeks ago and the order is still just 'pending'

WWA were quite obliging and allowed me to take a trigger guard screw off another MkIV they had in their restoration project box.

I was chatting to a mate of mine last night. 11 months ago he bought himself a nice tidy Vickers for £1500. Judging by the prices mentioned earlier in this thread, he's doubled his money in less than a year. Supply and demand is one thing, but Double Bubble in the space of a year is just plain silly.

I don't know that prices have gone up by that much in real terms????...

In 2004 at the massive indoor market in St Mere Eglise a dozen or more traders were asking £450 to £600 for large piles of very tatty folding stock M1 Carbines.....

...given ... they had quite probably 'loaded' their prices for the market but..... people were buying. :) ..

and Stephano is absolutely right.....

we all paid a lot less for any kind of house 30 years ago than we would do for the same house today so....be it guns /cars/ houses or whatever......prices will go up....what else do you expect? ........

It is hard to think these days though that an absolutely normal boring as hell run of the mill modern car will be worth anything in 40 years time but...it will be.....also due to the fact that so many people will not think of ever preserving one simply because they are so numerous and well...dull...... :)

On a slightly different tact....

.........did anyone see the programme t'other night on TV 'The Plane that saved Britain' ?????

It was all about the Mosquito and was incredibly good ....but anyways....my point is this.......

I remember years ago reading / seeing a lot of photographs in a magazine article about the making of '633 Squadron' ....

...even at that time in the 1960s , Mossies were so numerous a couple of dozen were bought up for the film and literally hacked about with axes to display 'battle damage' for certain scenes.... and as I recall , these were unceremoniously burnt /scrapped when the filming was finished.... when they came to make the follow up film 'Mosquito Squadron' only a few years later ......the situation had changed to such an extent that the film company had to resort to using many 'recut' scenes out of the first film because there were hardly any Mossies left .........

what price for a Mosquito now? .and if you could afford it ....would you say that was 'over priced' ???

Point taken Bob. Nobody minds a steady price rise as things get older and rarer. But on the deac' side of things, it's gone barmy of late. Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned about certain dealers with plenty of buying power pushing the prices up. I tend to agree with that. Lets face it, we all want to make a few quid if we can, but there's taking the mick and not. (Just my idle ramblings. Take no notice of me, lol.)

Tony, my point entirely. Well said!

Edited by Pete

Sorry all, I'm on a roll here (And I'm signed up for the British Whinging Team at the next Olympics, lol.) . Now, I've only been playing this game for a couple of years. Me and the Mrs ended up helping out at several Bunker Bashes (Most of you probably tried to run me over as I was waving my arms around like a mad thing trying to direct traffic, and then swore at my Mrs as she booked you in, because I wouldn't stand still, lol!). In that short amount of time, the Mil' hobby sparked my interest. So, as you do, you start buying stuff. Not being that into it all, I tended to wander around the stalls thinking "Ooo, that's nice." but just walking away as a £250 Bren in it's box wouldn't be something that would be of any use to me. An old spec wood furnished SLR for about the same sort of price almost tempted me to get my wallet out, but the wood had teethmarks in it, so just keep on walking Pete. A handfull of years later, and I'm paying silly money for a SPAS 12 with a folding stock. Again, sorry all, I'm probably the mug that has pushed all the prices up! :-D

Point taken Bob. Nobody minds a steady price rise as things get older and rarer. But on the deac' side of things, it's gone barmy of late. Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned about certain dealers with plenty of buying power pushing the prices up. I tend to agree with that. Lets face it, we all want to make a few quid if we can, but there's taking the mick and not. (Just my idle ramblings. Take no notice of me, lol.)

Tony, my point entirely. Well said!

yes I do agree with the idea that some dealers 'exploit' situations..

.as Tony pointed out , in the 80s and into the early 90s you could buy Ex army Series 3's very cheaply .....then ...around about 92/93 ish .... a few dealers from up country sort of way (I could name the ones I hold responsible but there's no point) ........realised there was more money to be squeezed out of the secondhand Landrover game if they all stuck together and pushed prices up

....now .......this may be harsh to accuse them off but......well :) ...

anyways !...what happened was ! ...

..over the next 6 months that I was still bothering to go to the ex army sales at RAF Aston Down , these certain dealers started paying way more on the hammer just to make sure they got more or less every vehicle that came through the sale...myself and other 'small time operators' that had been buying regularly over the years were very steadily edged out..we simply couldn't make money on a truck if we paid what they were paying ..and anyways ....most of us couldn't afford to buy anymore than 2 or 3 vehicles at a time .these companies were coming to the sales with huge artic car transporters and going home with them full of Landrovers.......

.. consequently.... prices went up ridiculously..... and they were all being bought by more or less by the same 2 or 3 dealers .... these companies adverts were regularly (in those days) in the 4x4 glossy magazine marketplace and their prices , (not only for complete vehicles but also for spares) were astronomical and ..

.seeing as they advertised every month?.....you can only come to the conclusion that their 'joint' policy was working well for them ......

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

This dealer is a well known .......... merchant, £1200 for this Bren when I know that he paid less than £400 for it (Probably much less) http://www.(LINK DELETED BY ADMIN)

He always appears to purchase lots of stock so he must be selling to some idiots, most of the stuff comes from one of the big dealers and he never quite describes it correctly, even when his errors are pointed out. One example is the L4A1 which has been mentioned on the forum before, it is in fact a South African 7.62 conversion, and he knows this, but he still hopes to sell it for a lot of money to some one who doesn't know better.

He also has some .50 cals which came from Saracen exports and his L7A2 GPMG is a Ex Indian MAG with fake markings.

Edited by N.O.S.

I was chatting to a mate of mine last night. 11 months ago he bought himself a nice tidy Vickers for £1500. Judging by the prices mentioned earlier in this thread, he's doubled his money in less than a year. Supply and demand is one thing, but Double Bubble in the space of a year is just plain silly.

Vickers prices haven't doubled in last year. WW2 dated examples have gone up slightly, but the ones valued at £3.5 - £4K are WW1 examples, which have always been much pricier. The WW1 type has a fluted water jacket, the WW2 type is smooth.

This dealer is a well known .......... merchant, £1200 for this Bren when I know that he paid less than £400 for it (Probably much less) http://www.XXXXXXXXXXXX

He always appears to purchase lots of stock so he must be selling to some idiots, most of the stuff comes from one of the big dealers and he never quite describes it correctly, even when his errors are pointed out. One example is the L4A1 which has been mentioned on the forum before, it is in fact a South African 7.62 conversion, and he knows this, but he still hopes to sell it for a lot of money to some one who doesn't know better.

He also has some .50 cals which came from Saracen exports and his L7A2 GPMG is a Ex Indian MAG with fake markings.

Your concern that some idiots gullible customers may be persuaded to part with more than what you consider to be market value - if indeed he is offering items at such mark-ups or some items may not be as they are described - is to be applauded, but could you please bear in mind that there might more diplomatic ways of drawing peoples' attention to this without running the risk of the HMVF team being drawn into a libel case?

Thanks

Edited by N.O.S.

Vickers prices haven't doubled in last year. WW2 dated examples have gone up slightly, but the ones valued at £3.5 - £4K are WW1 examples, which have always been much pricier. The WW1 type has a fluted water jacket, the WW2 type is smooth.

Some of the late WW1 Vickers have smooth jackets but I know what you mean. Its the late 1930s and WW2 Lithgow made Smooth jacket Vickers which are cheaper. These are normally in very good FTRd condition just like the Lithgow Brens, they all came out of War Reserve in the 1980/90s.

Yes the prices are going mad... I'm kicking myself for not buying a Sterling at Overlord this year for £275 from someone exhibiting there, not a dealer.

The stack of Sterlings for £375 looked a bit rough to me.

The GPMG's looks great but £4k???

I'm after one to put in the Scorpion but for that money, manufacturing a solid aluminium copy must be viable, or maybe airsoft is the way to go... Perhaps I could 3d print one!

I think a lot of good points have been made as to why the prices of deacts have gone up. I bet everybody is kicking themselves for not buying something when they saw it, not realising the prices are going up and up.

When we put all the guns in Pete's Fiesta ready for a show the car quadruples in price!:wow:

Bloody he'll....thinking what I paid for my De-acs years ago, easily quadrupled my money. All pre "96 so old De-acs. Got my enfields, stens, bren, k98's, think the most I paid was £250 and that was for the bren!!! Stens were £100, enfields £120 and k98 was £170!!! For extra £100 cud have got the bren in box, spare parts and mags!!!!! Just kicking myself down the street n round the block!!!!!

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the VCR Act. Surely that's one of the main drivers behind the increase in the price of de-acts?

That may be a contributing factor, although I'd have thought replicas would have been more interest to reenactors than collectors and the former can still buy replicas?

I still think it's a matter of supply and demand: The modern deact market has been going since 1988 and most of the 'low hanging fruit' of potential supplies is probably now long gone.

It would be very interesting to hear what someone at Ryton / D&B / WWA / etc. has to say about the practicalities and costs of sourcing their stock.

Secure transport is costing a lot, milling , welding , running the shop on large scale gives large overhead.

so, if I could afford the prices I would buy what I like to keep them going.

A vickers, I love to own one for display in my office but then again, a Bren... Mk1 Inglish like I had and the mk3 sten I had before the Dutch government took them away, would be nice.

I'm surprised that no-one has yet mentioned the VCR Act. Surely that's one of the main drivers behind the increase in the price of de-acts?

Andy

I just had an admittedly very quick look at that Act on the web and ...

.would I be right in seeing /reading that its pretty much illegal to buy or sell any 'realistic imitation or deactivated firearm' unless you are a registered dealer ????? ..and also to 'cause one to be imported into the UK'? ....

...seems pretty draconian ????? and if that's so ???....

...well it does rather play the ball straight into a proper dealers hands to up his prices as ever he see's fit????

one bit of it says something along the lines of you are guilty of an offence if you...

'.......alter or modify an imitation firearm to be realistic'..

.so if you bought say, a bright pink plastic toy M16.... and painted it black.......are you breaking the law????

Seems utterly daft to me........

and .if you were to buy a deactivated Garand or something similar in France at a show...

..how would you bring it home ??

I have to say, IMHO.... that absolutely none of this Act would seem to prevent the average chavvy drug thug getting hold of a real live firing weapon if he chose to do so ..........