1959 Ferret ID Plate

PC1075

Look-out, another Newbie. :) ....Can anyone please take a look at the enclosed ID Plate taken from my 1959 Ferret Scout Car MKI/I and possible break it down for me...what does this all mean. I am trying to obtain the VIN# for US Customs and dealer in the UK says it is 01CC99 but I think this is the registration number....? THANK YOU

FerretVIN2.jpg

FerretVIN1.jpg

Hi Simon,

The military registration is 01CC09 but it may not have been registered in the UK as vehicle with the DVLA. I do not know if it needs to be registered with the DVLA before it can be exported from the UK to America.

Edited by ferrettkitt
incorrect info

The vin number as produced in the 1950's for the vehicle should be under the alloy plate and it should correspond with the numbers in the top left hand corner of the plate. Ferrets pre-date vin numbers and the plate welded to hull should give you the month of manufacture and the year plus the hull number for example 06 59 1906

06 month

59 year

1900 hull number (one of 3000 plus produced)

Edited by ferrettkitt

This is the only plate we can find, I have another picture which shows the numbers a little more clearly...any suggestions on what stand for?

That plate unbolts from the hull and the welded plate with the hull number will be beneath and give you the only vin type number that you can use.

1900 is the hull number and the month and year of production should on the welded plate

All the rest of the numbers/letters are contract number, vehicle MK number (MK 1/1) base rebuild dates (three filled out on the plate) plus military registration number.

History can be obtained from the Librarian at the Tank Museum at Bovingdon

Edited by ferrettkitt

From the Hull Data Plate, it looks like your Ferret has a long (and probably interesting) history:

- Rebuild in May 1964 at 23 Base Workshops, REME, based at Wetter, Germany

- Further Work in January 1975 at 23 Base Workshops, REME

- Base Overhaul in August 1990 at 34 Base Workshops, REME, based at Donnington, Shropshire (probably not long before it was sold!)

If you obtain the Vehicle History Card from Bovington, then I'll translate it for you!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I have a related question. The post above by ferretkitt indicates the hull plate format is "mm yy nnnn" (month, year, sequence number). The plate on my Ferret 34BA64 reads "190 B 9 3" which I think means 190th unit built Sept. 53 (or "nnn B m y" as a format). Which format is correct?

Picture of plate attached.

Thanks,

Alan.

Hull Number.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I have a related question. The post above by ferretkitt indicates the hull plate format is "mm yy nnnn" (month, year, sequence number). The plate on my Ferret 34BA64 reads "190 B 9 3" which I think means 190th unit built Sept. 53 (or "nnn B m y" as a format). Which format is correct?
yours is hull number 190 produced in September 1953

the hull number is always first

the next number is the month of manufacture

the last number is the final digit of the year of manufacture

I don't think Ferretkit's message was actually saying they appear in the order he wrote in his example, as that is the reverse of the truth.

Obviously with the production run lasting more than 10 years you can and do have to apply a rationality test as to which decade the final year relates to. In your case hull number 190 is very low and is supported by the fact you have square visors not triangular ones, therefore your vehicle is a very early one so the decade of manufacture must be 1950s not 1960s.

My ferret is hull number 3718 and year digit is 5. That makes mine 1965 not 1955 as further confirmed by the fact I do have the data plate and so can match the contract number stamped on it with the info in Pat Ware's book correlating the contract numbers and the year they were placed with the registration number sequence. OOEC25;'s contract was placed in the 1960 and so my year of manufacture is confirmed as 1965. If you have your data plate you can do the same cross check

that said I have no idea what the extra stamping just below your year digit means, it looks like either "HIS" or H 15?

Edited by john fox

• 2 weeks later...

I shipped many a Ferret into the USA and on shipping forms you had to have the vehicle number. Also when you titled the vehicle in the state you lived....a vehicle number is required. The only number that will meet those requirements is the one you have ....01 CC 99. I would use it. I never had a problem with it.

• 2 months later...
I shipped many a Ferret into the USA and on shipping forms you had to have the vehicle number. Also when you titled the vehicle in the state you lived....a vehicle number is required. The only number that will meet those requirements is the one you have ....01 CC 99. I would use it. I never had a problem with it.

I have A 17 digit alphanumeric in block E of my V5. Of course I can't find it anywhere on the vehicle and of course my USA DMV now won't take the 6 digit alphnumeric registration as a VIN because of the one on the V5. Anybody have any ideas as to what the one on my V5 might be?

I have A 17 digit alphanumeric in block E of my V5. Of course I can't find it anywhere on the vehicle and of course my USA DMV now won't take the 6 digit alphnumeric registration as a VIN because of the one on the V5. Anybody have any ideas as to what the one on my V5 might be?

Post the number and we can see if it means something or is just made up!

Interesting. 17 digit VINs didn't come out until the 90s.

I don't know about the UK, but in Australia, you can apply to allocate your own VIN to a vehicle, if one is not present, but in anything built before 1991? You don't need it. The new VIN must meet some formatting and uniqueness requirements and must be stamped into the vehicle.

Cheers,

Terry