• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it a mobile telegraph wire testing machine or remote demolition firing point? Dynamo charges up a capacitor type of valve or battery to provide electrical charge/ discharge etc

Or an early type of load sensing apparatus

Is it a mobile telegraph wire testing machine or remote demolition firing point? Dynamo charges up a capacitor type of valve or battery to provide electrical charge/ discharge etc

Or an early type of load sensing apparatus

Gary I've got a lot to choose from there & all equally ingenious but it's not any of those I'm afraid.

A counter system for dispensing or pacing something out?

Alec

Another plausible one Alec but its not that.

I don't know if this will help it but it was in service in 1926. It was the fifth model of this sort of equipment & a Mk 1 at that.

IT looks like a oblong box for want of a better term is mounted under the axle and not at the rear is it dispensing something

Wally it is indeed a box, a steel one. From the description I have it is attached with the nuts & bolts provided but it is not clear where they should be. I imagine it would be close to the axle although there is some latitude as it could be fitted to more than one type of equipment.

PS In the broadest sense it is sort of dispensing something.

Edited by fv1609

Smoke or gas emitting ?

Nothing noxious like that Roy. ("Dispensing" is perhaps misleading but if I said it wasn't dispensing when someone gets the answer it could be argued that it was dispensing something in its broadest sense)

Is it a steering arrangement for chains of trailers?

It looks like the "U" at the right is going to the front, and the other two items are at the rear. I'm guessing there are two small wheels at the front and two big wheels at the rear. The box underneath appears to be with the smaller wheels.

Edit: I missed the "dispensing" post. Is it a wet spray to damp down the dust? Control at the front?

Edited by Lauren Child

Is it a steering arrangement for chains of trailers?

It looks like the "U" at the right is going to the front, and the other two items are at the rear. I'm guessing there are two small wheels at the front and two big wheels at the rear. The box underneath appears to be with the smaller wheels.

Edit: I missed the "dispensing" post. Is it a wet spray to damp down the dust? Control at the front?

Lauren the "U" doesn't go completely to the front although it lives in the present position in a clip but it can be moved around. The other two things are fixed.

The two short things in the middle are not small wheels, Wally has established that this equipment is just two wheeled.

Probably forget about dispensing, I had to say it was dictionary correct but that is confusing to think of dispensing as a worthwhile clue.

I was thinking along the lines of photographic, but it looks a little too compact for the era.

Could it be said the box contains an accumulator, feeding two devices/connections, actuated by a switch on a wander-lead?

Alec.

Is it electrical and medical

Wally yes it is electrical but not medical. (My dictionary said "dispense" could mean "distribute", so it does distribute electricity hence my woolyness about dispensing!)