The Diesel Question.

I have a Diamond T Wrecker I wish to sell, currently with no engine fitted. I would like to hear a consensus of opinion with regard to the preference of a diesel or petrol engine. I could fit the Hercules RXC and keep it original, or bearing in mind the high cost of fuel put in a diesel which would produce a better fuel consumption. Which would be the more salable please?

I have a Diamond T Wrecker I wish to sell, currently with no engine fitted. I would like to hear a consensus of opinion with regard to the preference of a diesel or petrol engine. I could fit the Hercules RXC and keep it original, or bearing in mind the high cost of fuel put in a diesel which would produce a better fuel consumption. Which would be the more salable please?

Wot diamond T is it 980 or 981 or 969 £ ?

Is there really going to be that much improvement in MPG and will it make that much difference with the higher cost of diesel, unless running on red or wvo.

I don't think people considering owing this type of vehicle are too concerned on fuel cost anyway.

It never bothered me with owning yank muscle cars, 12 mpg economy mode or 9 mpg with a lead foot, lead foot won every time:-D whats 3 mpg between friends.

Difficult choice, Tony.

I'm a bit biased (or do I mean lazy.....) as I don't have the petrol engine fine tuning skills (I mean patience :D) of others, so take my take on it with a pinch of salt, but regardless of how you weight the benefit of diesel economy, there are other factors which have an impact. For example it seems to be increasingly difficult to find spares for many of these big wartime petrol engines. Fair to say I think that economy on its own, whilst definitely real, depends on amount of use the truck will get.

Diesel wins on: complete engine availability / reliability */ spares availability / rebuild (engine machining) capability / economy

* especially after a long period of layup when petrol requires a lot of attention - spark, stale fuel

Petrol wins on: originality (including the sound!) / ................there must be more but nothing springs to mind!

How about the following rationale?

If the truck is a pristine restoration or one which has good potential to be made into same, an original petrol might offer best resale potential.

If it is a good useable truck which will probably never be a 'minter' (being realistic a lot of trucks are in this category) then a diesel might give a better resale value or appeal to a bigger potential market?

On the other hand, if the truck is going to need a lot of work by whoever buys it, then whoever takes it on would probably have the skills to do the conversion should they so choose, and if it has a recently fitted good RXC this should have a good resale value to those of the original persuasion.

Edited by N.O.S.

a diesel running right is always a load less hassle thn a petrol engine which always needs something to help it along every week, plugs, leads points carb setting, etc etc...but still prefer the rev range of a petrol truck they make them so much more fun to drive...diesels hard work changing gear all the time...but I do think realisitically economy not really a big point, practicality is the real issue. how is it going to be used and how often and for what distances...etcetc

You can run a diesel WITH LPG, metered to supplement and ensure complete burn of diesel, straight diesels only actually usually burn 70-75% of their fuel, when adding LPG to the air intake, it helps complete the burn and adds a little useful power, too!

Hi Antony,

I am in the process of building a 969 to use as a regular rally-er. It was an incomplete, rusty, used truck and so will never be a mint show-stopper. I will be fitting a diesel Cummins 6bt (I think) for economy mainly, but also reliability.

The economy gain I expect to see would be around 3mpg(petrol) up to 10mpg(diesel) = 300+%. Over the expected decades it will more than pay for itself.

So, back to your original question. I guess it depends on your expected market.

Could you offer it as a petrol OR diesel fitted?

BTW, I am looking for 969 wrecker and M1A1 heavy wrecker accessories.

Have a nice day.

Sam - downunder.

So the question was which would be more saleable? I am sure in its original guise ( Hercules) if the vehicle has not been bastardised.

however it may be more saleable as a project with no engine giving the possibility to anyone interested??

OK - how can you tell if the timber chassis rail packing under a chain drive Mack tipper body is original?

:D (couldn't find a French Smiley)

Count the rings..

Actually if it happens to be under a WW1 cable hoist dump then there is a strong chance it is - especially if it is tapered

I would agree with NOS's first reply regarding choice. I have a DT 969 with a Ford D Series/Cargo 6 cylinder turbo fitted. Its great and the previous owner who fitted it made a good job. I also have a project Autocar 8144 with the Hercules Petrol the same as in the DT originally. Now the Hercules engine in the Autocar runs and when I get time to check it over properly if its ok I will keep it in there, if its not as per NOS's comments I will go for a diesel of some sort as a longer term usable solution. I don't think there is a right answer.

As mentioned if you are going to sell it it maybe better to sell without an engine as the time & cost of putting one in to sell could easily out weight the extra value.

I know I'm going to regret saying it but how much are you looking for as it is ?

Hi Antony,

I am in the process of building a 969 to use as a regular rally-er. It was an incomplete, rusty, used truck and so will never be a mint show-stopper. I will be fitting a diesel Cummins 6bt (I think) for economy mainly, but also reliability.

The economy gain I expect to see would be around 3mpg(petrol) up to 10mpg(diesel) = 300+%. Over the expected decades it will more than pay for itself.

So, back to your original question. I guess it depends on your expected market.

Could you offer it as a petrol OR diesel fitted?

BTW, I am looking for 969 wrecker and M1A1 heavy wrecker accessories.

Have a nice day.

Sam - downunder.

Hi Sam,

I do have the option of fitting both the RXC or a diesel, personally if I was buying I would go for a diesel for the same reasons as you, but I thought it would be interesting to hear other opinions. As it is I think opinion is divided so I could take your suggestion and offer a choice.

Thanks,

Tony.

I would agree with NOS's first reply regarding choice. I have a DT 969 with a Ford D Series/Cargo 6 cylinder turbo fitted. Its great and the previous owner who fitted it made a good job. I also have a project Autocar 8144 with the Hercules Petrol the same as in the DT originally. Now the Hercules engine in the Autocar runs and when I get time to check it over properly if its ok I will keep it in there, if its not as per NOS's comments I will go for a diesel of some sort as a longer term usable solution. I don't think there is a right answer.

As mentioned if you are going to sell it it maybe better to sell without an engine as the time & cost of putting one in to sell could easily out weight the extra value.

I know I'm going to regret saying it but how much are you looking for as it is ?

Thanks Andy,

Sending PM

I think it grew to 4 choices

Petrol

Diesel

Nothing

Whatever the buyer wants in.......

Thats the joy of this forum - there is never any shortage of ideas!

Now where's that gas turbine I had lying around...........................................?

Anyway notwithstanding my previous answer I think that you need to trust your instinct here, and do just whatever you fancy.