• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Clive, but I was allowing others to suggest it is to allow the low level testing of fuel for water contamination before this reply.
I'm a bit confused by that Merlin, but I think the answer is that it could be amongst other things.

Certainly in aviation the fuel must have samples taken every day. The samples get stored for years.

As this is a tube I figured it must be for inserting into the ground tanks. As the tube is held up from contact with the floor by the feet it will allow a sample to be taken from the bottom of the tank. This would allow testing for water (fuel floats on water) and other contaminants such as sugar, rats, rust etc. That was my answer anyway.

It could be for releasing a drain on fuel tanks (aircraft), somehow I think that it is used to push release rather than twist as copper probes would not have terrific strength

Nope Richard

Certainly in aviation the fuel must have samples taken every day. The samples get stored for years.

As this is a tube I figured it must be for inserting into the ground tanks. As the tube is held up from contact with the floor by the feet it will allow a sample to be taken from the bottom of the tank. This would allow testing for water (fuel floats on water) and other contaminants such as sugar, rats, rust etc. That was my answer anyway.

Yes Merlin well done!

For bonus points, what is it called? There was a clue I gave out earlier on that TB picked up on.

Merlin's light fuel sampler?
Nope I don't think you would like it if I called you this name. You've won anyway, but for completeness I was hoping someone would get the official name that is an every day noun. It is not in some fancy service nomenclature.

Dipstick;)

A good suggestion Derek. Certainly not complimentary but not quite accurate as this is not not so much about measuring fuel but taking samples. Except rurally here the samples tend to be quite large :-(

Sorry picture is rather dark makes it look light night :D

this is not not so much about measuring fuel but taking samples. Except rurally here the samples tend to be quite large :-(

A thief in the night :-D

Dsc05689_zpsdd141a55.jpg

Dsc05690_zps82d0faff.jpg