Tankfest 2013 at Bovington tank museum. Saturday 29th June and Sunday 30th June.

I took three vehicles along (thanks to Commander AndyM and 2nd in Command Pete) and we were the first to make track marks on the concrete apron in front of the new conservation centre! (plus a few oil marks).

We had a great position with plenty of visitors coming past and a good view of the displays.

Sun shone all day, everyday so everyone had the lobster look by Sunday evening.

No problems with the drive there and back either.

A great turn out, queues at the entrance gates at 8:30am.

Still nothing like W&P but Tankfest gets better every year.

Some pics from our vantage point...

punters.jpg

lots of people and lots of sunburn...

two cheiftains.jpg

lots of dust!

belt problems on khalid.jpg

Khalid threw a belt, plenty of help available.

dust.jpg

More dust, fortunately it blew all over the VIP enclosure.

Edited by BRDM Driver

And some more:

The 'Cold War' theme re-enactment had plenty of kit involved. The artillery pyro was a little too much like fireworks, but the nuclear strike was quite impressive.

Not enough tank on tank combat and too much infantry combat, which seemed to take place either behind smoke or behind 'the hill'.

boom.jpg

boom2.jpg

direct hit.jpg

Edited by BRDM Driver

I missed this year but a friend at work made it down, had a great time but said he thought the 'VIP' viewing areas were becoming too large and restricting normal members of the public to rather limited viewing. Just his opinion.

Very nice pictures, got anymore as we couldn't make it so want to make myself even more jealous of what you all saw :cry:

The museum were advising people to load their pictures up to a (presumably the museum's) Tankfest Facebook account. Find that (I haven't looked) and you should find a treasure trove.

I didn't take any photos myself, I had four people with me for whom I acted as tour guide: they took plenty of pics.

Actually, whilst showing them around the Warrior ARRV, my son asked about the "INERT" boxes all over the sides. I was about to start when a very nice young REME lass from ATDU walked up. I told them to ask the expert. She commented, "No, no you have been doing a fine job so far. You explain."

Damn. Gotta get this one right. So I explained about reactive armour.

"Word perfect. You should apply to be a tour guide."

I told her I'd love to retire and do it every day, but it's a little far to commute every day from Southampton.

The museum were advising people to load their pictures up to a (presumably the museum's) Tankfest Facebook account. Find that (I haven't looked) and you should find a treasure trove.

I didn't take any photos myself, I had four people with me for whom I acted as tour guide: they took plenty of pics.

Actually, whilst showing them around the Warrior ARRV, my son asked about the "INERT" boxes all over the sides. I was about to start when a very nice young REME lass from ATDU walked up. I told them to ask the expert. She commented, "No, no you have been doing a fine job so far. You explain."

Damn. Gotta get this one right. So I explained about reactive armour.

"Word perfect. You should apply to be a tour guide."

I told her I'd love to retire and do it every day, but it's a little far to commute every day from Southampton.

It was great to meet you AlienFTM, I had the Scorpion and Abbot.

When not answering questions, it was interesting just to listen in on people who already knew all about CVRT, FV series and BRDM (some Polish chaps) who were telling their mates/wives/colleagues all about them.

Incidentally, to answer the question we were being asked about the Abbot's range, I've just looked at the map. 17km from Bovington puts Dorchester and Weymouth well within range, you could probably have a good go at Ringwood!

Andy

It was great to meet you AlienFTM, I had the Scorpion and Abbot.

When not answering questions, it was interesting just to listen in on people who already knew all about CVRT, FV series and BRDM (some Polish chaps) who were telling their mates/wives/colleagues all about them.

You too mate. Maybe next time if I flutter my eyelashes you'll let me show the entourage around the inside?

;)

You too mate. Maybe next time if I flutter my eyelashes you'll let me show the entourage around the inside?

;)

Absolutely. You only had to ask!

The problem was that at times we got swamped with people and before you know it, little Johnny has been dropped in the Scorpion drivers seat and he kicks the handbrake off, we were parked on a slope.... (didn't actually happen but I could see it happening)

The moment we let one guy on (to measure some bits for a model) everyone wanted to get on!

If you are ever that way again, you can always pop over for a 'private showing'! I'm 5 miles from the museum.

Incidentally, to answer the question we were being asked about the Abbot's range, I've just looked at the map. 17km from Bovington puts Dorchester and Weymouth well within range, you could probably have a good go at Ringwood!

Andy

Ha ha! So we could have taken out the Weymouth Pavillion and done everyone a favour!

The problem was that at times we got swamped with people and before you know it, little Johnny has been dropped in the Scorpion drivers seat and he kicks the handbrake off, we were parked on a slope.... (didn't actually happen but I could see it happening)

The moment we let one guy on (to measure some bits for a model) everyone wanted to get on!

If you are ever that way again, you can always pop over for a 'private showing'! I'm 5 miles from the museum.

Too kind. :-)

Oddly enough - that actually happened to me at Wicksteed. Area had gone quiet as the arena battle was on, two guys from RA who were acting as crew were sitting up on top of the OT whilst I leant against the side chatting. Suddenly I heard a heavy clunk from inside the vehicle as , as the thought "hand brake" flashed through the mind she started to roll backwards. Luckily a number of people also heard and saw and put their shoulders to the doors to try and stop it whilst I shot around the front to mount and one of the guys on top made a dive for the drivers hatch. Seemed we'd had a kid climb aboard unasked and uninvited who thought it would be funny to take the brake off. The crew member hooked him out - no sign of any parents - jumped in and reapplied the handbrake.

Now I have invested in a pair of large wheel chocks that can be wedged under the rearmost roadwheels to prevent this ever happening again.

As regards applying hand brakes; Some years ago, late 1980's when the activities at Bovington was held at Gallows Hill there was an incident concerning me. A Grizzly had been parked up on a slight slope where the public could come a have a close up look and talk to the tank crews. Suddenly I noticed that the Grizzly started to roll forward, quickly I sprinted forward, dropped into the drivers seat and brought it to a halt. The owner of this who I cannot remember (are you reading this sir ?) stormed across and remonstrated with me for being in his tank ! This person had without doubt failed to leave his tank with brakes applied and in so doing had endangered the public.

Yes Andy I was there on the Saturday in it when it did a circuit, Alec James was the apprentice driver and he did quite well.

Thanks Bob I had a good instruction from the expert enjoyed driving the A7V

Al