Operation Bolero 2007 - Memory Lane

It was six years ago today that dozens of MV's ( and Jack's pink cushion ) were assembling at Parham airfield for the beginnings of the "Operation Bolero 2007" event. How time flies. This has to rank pretty much at the top of any MV event I've attended since getting the Jeep back in 2005.

Looking at the weather outside, I was wondering what events I'd been at during late June over past years, and realised that today was the day that Bolero started in 2007. So here's a few photos from that great event.

Friday - Convoy Day 1 - Leiston and Debach airfields

fri1.jpgfri2.jpg

fri4.jpgfri5.jpg

fri7.jpgfri8.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Great heads up Steve and that was a fantastic weekend. I am not a massive drinker but think we were up until 3/4am - not sure if it was Joris or Snapper or me who fell in the ditch when we went for a pee........:blush:

Edited by Jack

It was six years ago today that dozens of MV's ( and Jack's pink cushion ) were assembling at Parham airfield for the beginnings of the "Operation Bolero 2007" event. How time flies. This has to rank pretty much at the top of any MV event I've attended since getting the Jeep back in 2005.

Looking at the weather outside, I was wondering what events I'd been at during late June over past years, and realised that today was the day that Bolero started in 2007. So here's a few photos from that great event.

Great heads up Steve and that was a fantastic weekend. I am not a massive drinker but think we were up until 3/4am - not sure if it was Joris or Snapper or me who fell in the ditch when we went for a pee........:blush:

Oh wow, thanks for the memories JtJ!!!!

Yup Jack, that was a heavy drinking night, even I was rather tipsy!!!! :-D

Well done Steve for remembering the date - I hadn't !

So many highlights looking back at those photo's one doesn't know where to start? Was it the Boeing Stearman buzzing the Hellcat racing up and down the peri-track at Parham, the sight of almost 80 WWII vehicles in line-astern convoy weaving their way through the Suffolk countryside, the Maurice Hammond buzz-job down the grass strip at Hardwick with brother in the back seat trying to keep hold of his lunch or the Friday night formation HMVF Drinking team in the tent, laughing and giggling to the early hours?

Well it was none of them of course - Because who could ever forget the slowest fast-food outlet in the whole of the United Kingdom who we had the misfortune to engage at the 95th BG base at Horham! Yes, those catering guys will be remembered and talked about by far more people and for far longer than any of the highlights I have mentioned earlier.

Its a shame to think that the P-51 Big Beautiful Doll shown on one of Steve's pictures is no-more (after the mid-air collision at Duxford a couple of years back) and I honestly think the chances of getting that many GMC's together again for a heavy haulage convoy is pretty unlikely with the cost of fuel.

I also think the reason that the event was so special for many on here was because it was the first time for many of us that we actually put a face to the screen name! For instance, it was the first time that I had ever met Rosie, Joris, RCubed, Snapper, Zoomer, NOS, Degsy and many others (even Jack perhaps), and up until that time we were all just online HMVF'ers and didn't realise that we actually all existed for real !

Cheers for posting the trip down memory lane and it begs the question, "Should we do it all again?"

Sorry to disillusion you Clive but your memory is even worse than mine and you can't plead old age;). You are confusing Bolero with Route to Victory when I first met you, Neil and the family face to face.:-DWhich reminds me please pass on my regards to every body, I have very fond memories of that event but especially the people who both organised and attended the event.

Well done Steve for remembering the date - I hadn't !

So many highlights looking back at those photo's one doesn't know where to start? Was it the Boeing Stearman buzzing the Hellcat racing up and down the peri-track at Parham, the sight of almost 80 WWII vehicles in line-astern convoy weaving their way through the Suffolk countryside, the Maurice Hammond buzz-job down the grass strip at Hardwick with brother in the back seat trying to keep hold of his lunch or the Friday night formation HMVF Drinking team in the tent, laughing and giggling to the early hours?

Well it was none of them of course - Because who could ever forget the slowest fast-food outlet in the whole of the United Kingdom who we had the misfortune to engage at the 95th BG base at Horham! Yes, those catering guys will be remembered and talked about by far more people and for far longer than any of the highlights I have mentioned earlier.

Its a shame to think that the P-51 Big Beautiful Doll shown on one of Steve's pictures is no-more (after the mid-air collision at Duxford a couple of years back) and I honestly think the chances of getting that many GMC's together again for a heavy haulage convoy is pretty unlikely with the cost of fuel.

I also think the reason that the event was so special for many on here was because it was the first time for many of us that we actually put a face to the screen name! For instance, it was the first time that I had ever met Rosie, Joris, RCubed, Snapper, Zoomer, NOS, Degsy and many others (even Jack perhaps), and up until that time we were all just online HMVF'ers and didn't realise that we actually all existed for real !

Cheers for posting the trip down memory lane and it begs the question, "Should we do it all again?"

Oh yes, the convoy-it was a fantastic sight seeing the snake of trucks trundling through the countryside. The drinking. OMG Maurice making us all stand there wide eyed and open mouthed as he flew inches from us. The drinking. Jeez, yes the 'fast' food van!!!! It honestly took hours!!!! The drinking. And yes, putting faces to names, making friendships that will last forever :)

Then there was the drinking, leaving the genny running till stupid o'clock if I remember rightly?!!!!

One particular memory that has stuck with me was going through some small village, and lots of people had come out of their homes after hearing the first few vehicles pass. One guy was standing at the edge of the road, and just like in the cartoons, mouth wide open, with his bottom jaw virtually on the floor as we drove past.

PS I found the old event threads I started, which used to have loads of pictures in, but the great forum crash of a few years ago has lost all the attachments. Shame.

Let us also have a minutes silence for the engine in Rupert Fox's car, which made it to within 20 miles of the start location before blowing up spectacularly.

This just made me laugh out loud............

Not forgetting of course Mark Heliop's Ward La France doing much the same on the A12 en-route to Suffolk.