Hi All Saving Private Ryan Help

spr lc

Hi I'm Will from Down in N.Ireland; I just came across these brilliant forums and am looking on some help on selling a piece of movie history; a few years ago I bought the landing craft(lcvp mk2) which was used for the filming of Saving Private Ryan (PA30-11) ; and later found out that this craft had actually been serving actively in the Falklands War as well. Ball park figure was looking 20-30 gs.

Unfortunately I'm now finished with it as it served me well for moving cargo and machinery and I'm now looking for an avid collector or buyer as its time for it to find a new home.

If anybody is interested in this gem; i'll post some pics.

Yea was doing some work on some of the islands off the west coast of Ireland; restoring some buildings up; so was perfect for transporting materials and machinery. Now all the work is done no longer need it now so its served its purpose.

Yea Tony I saw that and the price he was looking for was a boat that's not even in the water; seemed that I should probably be looking round that figure or more considering it lacks props.

Any other ideas be greatly appreciated. I think will probably post an ad here as well.

Thx Will

She has the original two Foden diesel engines..

The LCVP was built by the Dorset Yacht Company at Poole in 1965. Powered by two Foden diesel engines, LCVPs Mk2s could carry 35 fully equipped Royal Marines Commandos or two Landrovers.

In 1982 four LCVPs carried by assault ship HMS Fearless during the Falklands conflict. They took part in the initial landings at San Carlos on 21st May, taking Royal Marines of 40 Commando and men of the Parachute Regiment to the beaches. On 24th May they helped evacuate the crew of HMS Antelope when an unexploded bomb detonated and the ship caught fire. The Royal Marines Coxswain, Corporal Alan White, received a commendation from the Task Force Commander, Admiral Sir John Fieldhouse, for his part in rescuing 41 crew from the Antelope. F7 continued to ferry men and supplies throughout the Falklands conflict and was also employed on mine clearance duties.

Edited by spr lc

no got it from team that were working on saving private ryan sfx depart. in Hollywood,co.down; may have been passed down the line from Wigan.

Did you know an LCVP from wigan.

I owned two LCVP's in the late 1990's, they came from Southall Middlesex. The best was sold to an Irishman to service an island off the north west coast of Southern Ireland. Seems a bit of a co-incidence ? I will be away at Tankfest until next week but I will try to find some photographs.

Well it sounds like your right could well be the same one; a very small world.
The Irishman came to see it by taxi at about 6pm, it was then dark, and he err....how do I say this, he fell out of the taxi where as a sober fellow would not. After blundering about with a torch he said he would have it at the asking price so he was or keen or.......

• 7 years later...

I thought I might clear up some misunderstandings about how the landing craft PA30 11 used in the movie Saving Private Ryan ended up in Northern Ireland.. Myself, Robert Gyle & my business partner Mark Huffam owned a film facilities company called G&H Film & Television Services , based in Holywood, Northern Ireland.  Mark was an associate producer on the movie. Our company was asked to go & inspect PA30 11 which was lying on a beach 100 miles away in the small fishing port of Burtonport in Southern Ireland & the craft was owned by a local trawler man who had bought it the move tractors & livestock to an offshore island. He had never actually used it as it needed a lot of Re-commissioning before it would be seaworthy. I inspected & photographed the boat. The 2 Foden 2stroke supercharged Diesel engines seemed never to have been used as the white paint on them was like new. The boat was purchased from the gentleman in Burtonport & taken to our workshop where it was given a complete overhaul including double fuel & double charging systems in case of an emergency the systems could be changed over to the spare one, all electrics & instruments were renewed, all throttle linkages were fitted with rose joints for smooth operation. Prop shaft seals & bearings were renewed as was the large seal on the drop down loading door. When the work was completed we transported the boat to Wexford in Ireland for sea trials & also because this is the location for the main beach landing scenes. All this work was carried out to this landing craft for the safety of the main actor Tom Hanks. After it was finished filming on the movie it was transported to our workshop at Holywood, Northern Ireland where it was stored for a few years. A gentleman called at our workshop out of the blue interested in buying it because by coincidence he had bought an island of the West coast of Ireland & required a landing craft to take diggers & building materials over to the island, which had no landing jetty & he was going to reconstruct an old island house. He bought the boat & we delivered it to his farm Waringstown in Co.Down. The new owner successfully used PA30 11 to take all the materials & machinery to the island & he was able to build his house. The whereabouts & ownership of the boat after that we are not sure about.

Robert Gyle

• Like 2