leyland daf 8x6 drops info

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone can explain the method of securing the flat rack to the vehicle

When I ran a fleet of demount boxes were told by VOSA (as was then) that the box was the load and therefore had to be secured to the vehicle.

This was achieved through twist locks at each corner, what happens on drops?

• 2 weeks later...

If it was a Leyland prototype it would have been a Scammell (if that makes any sense....) as the Leyland badge was only fitted when the MMLC went into production (all the prototypes and pre-production equipments were Scammell).

I ran the prototype/pre-production fleet in the DROPS Trials Team - this was not one of ours - at least not in this configuration. The chassis could well be a Foden MMLC though which was very similar to the Scammell (Leyland) offering, but fitted with the larger wheels.

Thanks Paul, I will contact one of my Scammell contacts and report back. It seems strange that they went to the trouble of building a unique cab when both Scammell and Foden had existing designs that the military were familiar with. The reg. number is logged with Swansea as a Leyland incidentally.

OK, mystery solved with help from Clive at Protruck, they are Haulamatic 8x6 prototypes that Unipower redesigned to become the 8x8 bridging units that are still in use now. The cabs appear to have been knocked up by the apprentices during their lunch break.

Edited by radiomike7

Okay I weighbridge my trucks.

DAF drops with all tools chains and strops, one driver and a lightweight rack, three quarters full tank 14450kg's.

Foden GS 12225kgs, with heavy duty hydraulic winch...I would think the winch is around an additional 750 kgs so my other foden GS should weight in at about 11500...

so DAF can carry no more than 15 tons, my Foden with winch just over 17 tons...and Foden with no winch just over 18 tons...

• 4 years later...

Hi just gone through hole thread found the information I was after in the last post which was the curb weight with rack thanks for that.

i know some one that wants a daf 8x6 drops to transport a M3a1 Stuart (12.9 tons combat weight)and tow a m5 half track on trailer behind.

what train weight has a drops that is tested and plated in the uk?

Under C&U regs the DAF has a max of 32t and the King DB20 18t.  However, the max GCW in the UK is restricted to 40t rather than 44t as neither vehicle has road friendly suspension, the DAF engine does not have the required emission spec and the trailer only has 2 axles. The twin tyre on drive axle requirement is met by the extra wide tyres on the DAF.

The DAF is 14.038t unladen, the DB20 is 3.38t and a rack is up to 1.5t depending on type.

So, DAF + rack + M3 is 14.04+1.5+12.9=28.5t give or take

DB 20 + rack + M5 is 3.4+1.5+(9t??)=14t give or take as not sure on the M5.

GCW is circa 42.5t so overweight.

Special Types would not work as it is a divisable load.

Edited by radiomike7
STGO info

Hi just gone through hole thread found the information I was after in the last post which was the curb weight with rack thanks for that.

i know some one that wants a daf 8x6 drops to transport a M3a1 Stuart (12.9 tons combat weight)and tow a m5 half track on trailer behind.

what train weight has a drops that is tested and plated in the uk?