ID please: German Vehicle

Kuno

It was actually an event dealing with the 100 years anniversary of Oskar Bider crossing the alps in a Bleriot XI monoplane when I stumbled across this rather strange vehicle. Unfortunately I missed to look out for the owner and ask him what it is.

My guess is that it was one of the fruitless events to build an "Europa Jeep" and I think that it might be based on a Volkswagen "Transporter". But I am really not sure about this and hoping now that one of the other members of this forum may know about it...

Biderfest Langenbruck 2013 (1108).JPG

Biderfest Langenbruck 2013 (1102).JPG

Biderfest Langenbruck 2013 (1104).JPG

Biderfest Langenbruck 2013 (1105).JPG

Biderfest Langenbruck 2013 (1107).JPG

It definitely has the look of a Volkswagen Transporter series vehicle.

The metal pressings and finishing are too nice for a hotrod or hand made item, I just don't know what they called them or how many they made. Looks like it would be fairly easily air-portable too.

I'm fairly sure that this is a vehicle built in Brazil for the Brazilian army.

Brazil has for many years produced the Beetle and also the Transporter up until recently. I remember seeing one of these VW's at the Museo Conde de Linhares, army museum, in Rio de Janeiro, a few years back. I cannot find the photos from my visit, but I'll try to dig up some info.

Goran N

Gentlemen

A rather old book from the Olyslager Organisation, edited by none other than Bart Vanderveen, shows this vehicle as the Farmobil; "a multi-purpose vehicle shaped like the Haflinger but of simpler design and without front wheel drive. The rear wheels were driven by an aircooled flat-twin 35 bhp BMW 700 engine mounted at the rear. Designed and developed in 1959/60 by Fahr of West Germany, the Farmobil was produced in France by Farco, a Greek company which in 1963 was taken over by Chrysler. In Germany it was reintroduced in 1965 as BMW Farmobil, BMW having acquired sole marketing rights in the Federal Republic."

Chris

001_zps79d3f177.jpg

Chris: Thank you very much!

It seems to have been one of these vehicles which were actually a good idea but never had the fortune they would have needed to become a success...

Edited by Kuno

• 7 years later...

It’s a Farmobil 700. Conceived by the German tractor and agricultural implements manufacturer Fahr. The vehicle was manufactured in Theselonicki Greece between 1962-66. It shared  several mechanical components from the BMW 700LS including the engine and transaxle. Chrysler international purchased Farco in 1963 claiming the marketing rights, Around 1000 vehicles only were produced. 

• 1 month later...