Cultybraggan POW Camp, Comrie

Hey folks, here are a few snaps I took at this small event a couple of weeks back.

This event was situated at Cultybraggan Camp.

Cultybraggan lies close to the village of Comrie, in west Perthsire. It was first used as a Prisoner of War (PoW) camp during WW2, and then became an Army training area. It eventually closed in 2004.

Some members of the Scottish Military Vehicle Group attended, along with re-enactors dressed as POWs or WW2 soldiers.

I had a great day visiting - and the re-enactors and military vehicles certainly gave the place an atmosphere. There was also a parade of MVs going through the town nearby, as well as the POWs being frog-marched back to the camp

Cultybraggan POW Camp. Just some of the many buildings here.

9jpg_zps3055226f.jpg

The military vehicles and POWs heading out to Comrie for the parade, with my dads FWD taking up the rear

8jpg-1_zps5b030d02.jpg

RVP in a park in Comrie before the parade through the town

7jpg-1_zps71a495c2.jpg

6-1_zpscfa8b16a.jpg

7-1_zpsaa2a2d82.jpg

15jpg_zpsd038e705.jpg

A vintage bus even took part in the event, running a free service to and from the camp for the public :D

16jpg_zps109faae5.jpg

6jpg-1_zps22e31827.jpg

Some of the POWs awaiting to be marched through the town and back to camp

11jpg_zps41d19eca.jpg

10-1_zps7619545a.jpg

Arriving back at Camp in dads FWD

5jpg-1_zpsa1e5643d.jpg

Dads FWD parked up

3-1_zpse5dff1f0.jpg

4jpg-1_zps6acdad19.jpg

Some of the re-enactors

RAF_zps0b64a191.jpg

13-1_zpsfbdacea4.jpg

12jpg_zpsfaa51902.jpg

14jpg_zps10193adf.jpg

Looking out from the guardroom

2jpg-1_zpsa0389ce0.jpg

Might add more later when I have the time :)

Edited by Puff

Good grief!!!

Used to go there on Cadet Force Camp in the late 1970's

A desolate place then with very dubious latrine arrangements!!

(That'll be a wartime Champ then??:whistle:

The Idea of the event was to show the camp from Wartime to present day, so although it was mostly wartime vehicles, there were '50 and later too, right up to 110 Land Rovers.

As for being desolate, that's just a state of mind. You couldn't have asked for more picturesque surroundings, and cadets always moan about the latrines!118.jpg!

041.jpg

Also, there was a nuclear bunker built there in the late 80s/ early 90s during the cold war (this was obviously before anyone knew *when* the cold war was going to end). Tens of millions of £££ spent building it, then the cold war ended and was sold off my the government at a fraction of the price. The most technically advanced bunker from the cold war that remains today! Got an opportunity to look inside it...and the majority of rooms were empty! The only real things in there was plant machinery that looked brand new. Either its never been used, or very little in its 22 year history. I must say, I've never been so excited about seeing empty rooms, but it really was intriguing because we all knew what the bunker meant and its function.

I took photos, but I find this thread does it justice better...

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/underground-sites/26993-cultybraggan-rghq-bunker-comrie-19-01-08-a.html

Just found this website regarding the bunker back in 2000. It would appear to have more equipment in it then that what it does today.

http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/cultybraggen.htm

Edited by Puff

Good grief!!!

Used to go there on Cadet Force Camp in the late 1970's

A desolate place then with very dubious latrine arrangements!!

(That'll be a wartime Champ then??:whistle:

lol!

Does the place look any different from when you were there? :)

Heres a link to someone who took photos inside the Nissen Huts.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/military-sites/26329-cultybraggan-army-training-camp-comrie-perthshire-19-01-08-a.html

Edited by Puff

I was there as a cadet in 1967. For those that don't know, the toilet arrangements mentioned consisted of a long sewer pipe, slightly inclined that ran the whole length of the latrine, going from stall to stall. There were toilet seats above holes in the pipe where you sat and made your deposit. Then every ten(?) minutes or so, like a urinal, there would be an automatic flush from the higher to the lower end of the pipe, collecting all "deposits" on the way. Very disconcerting if you were still seated but we had a better use! Wait in the most "uphill" stall with several pages of crumpled newspaper.As soon as the flow could be heard on its way, paper down the seat, spray on petrol lighter fluid and ignite then run like hell. The fireball was then washed down the pipe and under any bare buttocks that happened to be in situ. The runninng part was the most important as you were likely to catch several NCO's who could make you pay dearly for your fun!

Ah, happy days!

The nissan huts were uninsulated so early mornings, the floor was about half an inch deep in condensation and it was bl**dy cold!

One cadet who shall remain nameless was one of those hateful people who woke up before revellie and whistled while cleaning his brasses. Someone threw a boot at him which hit him behind the ear and knocked him out cold. We bundled him back into bed so when the corporal came in to check we were all up, he was apparently still in bed asleep so he was put on a "fizzer" of some sort. As is common with unconciousness, he had forgotten a few minutes so he did not remember either getting up or being hit with the boot.

It was so boring there that we walked about 4 miles on our one afternoon off to go to a Highland Games. Got caught by the Major coming out of a pub there, I remember!

John, you seem to have fond memories of the camp :-) thank you for sharing :-D Although had spotted in some of the huts radiators/ central heating. Don't think it's original somehow! Also some of the huts have been rented out to people/ small businesses too these days...

Edited by Puff