Austin Gipsy

Hi all. I recently bought this Gipsy (you may have seen it for sale).

In fairly reasonable condition for a Gipsy, although not been very well cared for considering (i think) it was a home office one and should have been like new when released.

The plan is to use it as is for the time being until other projects are done and then restoration can start.

So far... Fitted all new brake pipes and hoses, freed off all brakes and clutch. Engine starts and runs well. Fiddled with most of the electrical items in one way or another.

Next on the list is a small amount of welding to pass MOT.

2013-06-09 20.32.06.jpg

A lovely bit of kit. Or it will be, when you have spruced it up a bit...

My father bought one from a garage circa 1970 where it had been used for breakdown work. For some unknown reason, it was the devil to start. It would not take any choke at all, and had to be started with the choke fully in and then idled for about 10 minutes until it was warm enough to rev normally. I was only 18 at the time, so was not clued up enough to investigate the problem. I did get to drive it though, and much preferred it to the farm Land Rover (a Series II) that I also drove occasionally.

John.

very nice what year is she?

Thanks for the replies.

Its on the list as 1965 although registered as 1960 but thats DVLA for you! Should be AFS as it used to have a CYY registration.

There is some more information on the said vehicle on the original for sale thread here:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?22914-Austin-Gypsy-1960

Scott

• 6 years later...

Hello

Many thanks. I found that yesterday but it doesn't show a side view sectioned drawing, through the shaft, clutch plate, pressure plate and cover, flywheel and the end of the crank, etc.. This is what I need but must be in an earlier manual?

• 8 months later...

Depends on the usual , age condition any history. The biggest problem with them was rust, though no more than most English carsof the time. There are two suspension set ups, the G1 had the flexitor and the G4 had leafsprings. Engines were 2.2 BMC petrol and disel. Did you know you can get front wheel drive only on them? The M10 was the SWB designation the M15 the LWB.

13 hours ago, Carlz said:

Can someone please help me I...have an austin gypsy in not a very good condition I'm willing to let go of to the right person. Or know the worth please

If you're active on Facebook then there are some knowledgeable people on here: Austin Gipsy Owners Club. | Facebook

As Tony says there are the usual factors to consider. Have noticed Gipsy prices starting to go up in recent years though.