Screened wiring and connectors on 1960 FVs

I am soon going to be changing the starter motor on my Alvis Stalwart (STAL54). While I am at it, I would like to know more about the wiring system: for example, the braided cable that runs from the ignition junction box to the starter motor. I'd like to find out what sort of cables and connectors were used, and I'd appreciate advice on how best to go about sympathetically rejuvenating the wiring, cleaning the connector contacts, and possibly sourcing replacements. I'd like the wiring to be safe and reliable, but as "authentic" as possible too. DJW

The wiring between the junction box and starter motor is simply a 12 amp cable, originally made from unipren, running inside a tinned copper braided outer hose. At the jnc box end, the cable passes through a rubber bush inside a threaded union, of which the hexagon end of the braided outer screws onto, and is simply put into the correct terminal in the box and the terminal screw tightened. At the starter end is a 2 pin plessey connector, of which only 1 pin is used, and the other end of the braided hose is screwed onto this connector. The plessey connectors can be completely stripped, though they are very fiddely! Lots of small bits, pins, seals, threaded rings etc.....

This is the view of the inside of the junction box.

SNV85121.jpg

This is a shot of a 5 pin plessey connector, would guess 2 pin identical.

SNV83598.jpg

Any more info, just shout.

That is incredibly helpful, thank-you. That gives me loads to go on. And you have confirmed what I suspected about only one of the two pins being used, the solenoid earth return being shared with the main power earth I presume?

Is replacement of the conductor inside the braiding feasible? There has been deep water in the hull and I think that may be why the starter packed in. I doubt it will have done the cables much good either.

Also, in the cab, the wires out of the driver switchboard don't look great and they seem to go into the switchboard itself rather than into plessey-type connector. Know anything about this? DJW

The wiring between the junction box and starter motor is simply a 12 amp cable, originally made from unipren, running inside a tinned copper braided outer hose. At the jnc box end, the cable passes through a rubber bush inside a threaded union, of which the hexagon end of the braided outer screws onto, and is simply put into the correct terminal in the box and the terminal screw tightened. At the starter end is a 2 pin plessey connector, of which only 1 pin is used, and the other end of the braided hose is screwed onto this connector. The plessey connectors can be completely stripped, though they are very fiddely! Lots of small bits, pins, seals, threaded rings etc.....

This is the view of the inside of the junction box.

This is a shot of a 5 pin plessey connector, would guess 2 pin identical.

Any more info, just shout.

Replacement should be easy. Probably be best to solder a new length onto either end of the old cable and just pull through. Not 100% sure which switchboard is fitted to a Stolly, but if like the other FV vehicles, then they run through a rubber seal, with a threaded nut to tighten it up, and are connected onto the board via screwed terminals.