British oil cans?

ajmac

Could someone please post a photo of a common British engine oil can that would have been around in 1944-45. I am looking out for something suitable for the Loyd, as the manual sets out daily oil level checks, thus I presume the guys would have stored an amount on the vehicle.

Thanks all

Could someone please post a photo of a common British engine oil can that would have been around in 1944-45. I am looking out for something suitable for the Loyd, as the manual sets out daily oil level checks, thus I presume the guys would have stored an amount on the vehicle.

Thanks all

Here you go, one from my QL. They made the same pattern in postwar years as well. If you find two, I could do with another one, any date, no bothered.

regards Richard

WD oil can 001 (480x640).jpg

Interesting to see that it's made the same way as the Canadian cans (raised lip around the top).

I'll try to take a photo of a Canadian one at the weekend.

It was the Canadians that copied ours.......... and the Australians. They are a standard WD design. Don't forget CMP vehicles were built to British WD specifications.

Whilst on the subject of oil cans, we need one (the squirty type, not a storage can) for the Morris CDSW. It fits in an oval bracket under the bonnet. Does anyone know what make and size I should be looking out for?

Even better, does anybody have a spare?

Whilst on the subject of oil cans, we need one (the squirty type, not a storage can) for the Morris CDSW. It fits in an oval bracket under the bonnet. Does anyone know what make and size I should be looking out for?

Hi Ivor,

I might have one, bear with me, if I can find it today, will send a photo.

Hi Ivor,

Here is a photo of the can I have, it is stamped "RTS Ltd" and "1/2 pint". It came with an old WW2 military vehicle. I have forgotten to measure it though.

vintage oil can.JPG

Here I have two original WW2 dated oil cans with the Canadian symbol for my universal carrier. The main difference with post war cans is the brass screw caps and the more elaborat shaped handles. Ron

Carrier 182.jpg

Carrier 184.jpg

Carrier 186.jpg

Edited by Ron

Here I have two original WW2 dated oil cans with the Canadian symbol for my universal carrier. The main difference with post war cans is the brass screw caps and the more elaborat shaped handles. Ron

Hi Ron,

I recently saw some WW2 British WD 1 gall oil cans with the pressed steel caps as on Shell, Castrol, etc cans, so perhaps it was only Canada that made them of brass?

You might well be right Richard. I had it in my head that they had the same caps as the 2 gall petrol/water cans. They might also be interchangeable with the tin caps? I haven't tried. Ron

You might well be right Richard. I had it in my head that they had the same caps as the 2 gall petrol/water cans. They might also be interchangeable with the tin caps? I haven't tried. Ron

That's a point Ron, I will have to check out if the two caps are interchangeable. Although from memory the 2gall brass cap has a finer thread :(

Here's a photo that shows what I meant. I know that the POW can was British but used throughout the Commonwealth countries, but the Canadian 2 gallon cans have a raised lip where other nation's 2 gallon cans don't seem to.

I also have a post war British small (quart?) oil can that's made with the same raised edge, so I'm wondering if there was a reason for it.

From a feel I'd say the raised edge cans seem rather more flimsy but they seem to have lasted better with less corrosion inside.

British and Canadian POW cans.jpg.

Just a ponderance, but was the oil supply chain via Canada?

Lauren,

Just wondering how this question linked with oil cans, then thinking about it, are you assuming that oil was supplied in these cans? They are actually part on the MT kit to go with vehicles and not a unit of supply, I would imagine the oil was supplied much as it is today in drums of around 5 gall (now 25 litres).

Lauren,

Just wondering how this question linked with oil cans, then thinking about it, are you assuming that oil was supplied in these cans? They are actually part on the MT kit to go with vehicles and not a unit of supply, I would imagine the oil was supplied much as it is today in drums of around 5 gall (now 25 litres).

I was wondering whether supply via Canada would explain the cans being of similar construction, but like you say probably not.

• 7 years later...

Hi there

I have just being looking at these,

Austin Part numbers, and MT part numbers.

1st type
Oil can, 2H 3442, MT1/22355, Wesco.
Holder,  2H 3485, MT1/43989, 
IMG_8412.jpg.3e1f0aa7def27ffc513a52c35c072246.jpg

2nd type
Oil can, 2H 3884, MT1/10128,  
Holder,  2H 3885, MT1/27026,  

IMG_8414.thumb.jpg.71d3d621a47b3654e67ef562837eb5b6.jpg

3rd type
Oil can, 2H 3884, MT1/10128, 
Holder,  2H 3885, MT1/27026,  

same part numbers but different holder's ,
img_8-1.jpg.25ec4e92ff88aac4df73c94dcbdfce35.jpg

Holder is broken, but on dash by throttle linkage.
regs
Rupert

The oval style cans like 2H3442 above are actually a standard design of oil can that was used in all branches of engineering and steam haulage for many years in the UK and I expect many other countries. They were made in many sizes and with a button operated pump, a button operated valve (so gravity feed) and also purely gravity feed with no button like the one depicted as 2H3442. There was often a sliding shutter to close the filling hole but not always. There is at least one manufacturer that still supplies them new to the UK heritage steam sector. If I was looking for one I would search autojumbles at steam rallies and of course Ebay.

David