Pratt & Whitney R-4360

jimk

Greetings,

Photos of my aircraft engine project. Current focus is on the engine stand but the goal is to start it. The engine is a R-4360-63A off an Air Force Globemaster II. Displacement is 4,360 cu inch. Rated power at 3,800. It was made around 1954. The motor mount is KC97, something I got it in Idaho last Nov. The picture of the partial engine/stand is one of the parts donor there.

Trailer is 7-1/2' tall and 16' long. Frame is 6' wide made mostly of 3/8 wall material. The top cross member/oil tank (15 gal) is 1/4 wall. The frame right side is for fuel. The bottom gussets will be battery trays. The axle is old mobile home. That may get swapped for a pair of torsion axles later. Current weight is about 1600 lbs. Paint comes next. Then use the Stalwart to mount it (maybe in a few weeks). After that it will get set aside as I really need to be working on the V.

Below are notes. The top 2 sections may become lettering on the sides.

Jim

----------

Pratt & Whitney R-4360-63A

Cylinders- 28

Displacement- 4,362 cu/in

Horsepower- 3,800 HP @ 2,700 rpm

Torque- 7,391 lb ft @ 2,700 rpm

Weight- 3,811 lb

Bore- 5.75 in.

Stroke- 6.00 in.

Compression ratio- 6.7: 1

Supercharger-single stage variable speed

ADI (Water Alchohol Injection)

---------- R-4360 applications-------

Boeing 377 Stratocruiser (civilian/ commercial)

B-50 Superfortress

C-97 Stratofreighter

KC-97 Stratotanker

Convair B-36 Peacemaker

Douglas C-74 Globemaster

C-124 Globemaster II (this engine)

TB2D Skypirate

Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar

Goodyear F2G Super Corsair

Hughes H-4 Hercules (Spruce Goose), XF-11

Martin AM Mauler, JRM Mars, P4M Mercator

Northrop B-35

Republic XP-72 (prototype P-47 upgrade)

XF-12 Rainbow (prototype)

Aero Spacelines Mini Guppy/ Pregnant Guppy

Total number of engines manufactured- 18,697

R-4360 power airplanes currently flying- 0

Racing airplanes repowered w/R-4360 flying- 2

----misc------

(Race planes re-powered w/4360- Furias and Dreadnought, both Hawker Sea Fury's)

Airframe projects- 2 (C-97 Berlin Airlift Museum, KC-97 ex-waterbomber)

Fuel consumption- 7-8 gallons/ min (takeoff power), gal/ hr- 420 gal (wet), 500 gal (dry)

Propeller diameter 16-19'

A.K.A- Wasp Major

-53's, -59's and -63's were manufactured by Ford Motor Co. 1953-1955

56 spark plugs

4360 trailer (3).jpg

4360 trailer (2).jpg

4360 trailer (1).jpg

4360 trailer (4).jpg

4360 trailer (5).jpg

4360 trailer (6).jpg

4360 trailer (7).jpg

R4360 Idaho trip (9).jpg

Very interesting indeed.

So from reading your post, I take it that six of these engines were the 'pushers' that powered the B-36 Peacemaker (along with the four accompanying jets) ?

I shall follow your progress with interest and thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim,

Is the trailer frame on wheels significant to the engine project ?.....the reason I ask is because a guy in the UK has a Meteor 4B mounted on a trailer which he takes around county fairs & shows. He runs it up for the crowd & it always gathers a big crowd of appreciative onlookers. I for one would buy a ticket to see your radial run :cool2::clap:

AND, are you the same JimK who helped me out so much with my model Stalwart Atlas crane project ? (I see a Stolly in the background).....if so I thank you again:bow:

Good luck with the Pratt & Whitney.

Howard @ KFS

Installing a dynafocal motor mount. More parts picked up at Anderson Areomotive in Idaho last Nov. These also act as vibration isolators. Forged(?) steel, they weigh about 100 lbs for all 7. Seems heavy for an aircraft part, yet the engine is retained by just those 7 circle clips.

Photo 2- Spare nose case. Planetary gear reduction is 3.75:1. When you see engines cranking over very slowly on start-up it's just the prop that's slow. At max engine top speed (2700 rpm) the prop is turning 720 rpm. The shaft on left is supported by the inside front end of the crankshaft.

Otherwise, media blasted the rest of the stand Friday. Primer is done. Now for the top coat...

...Weren't these referred to as "corn cobs"?...

Yes, and Wasp Major.

Hi Jim,

Is the trailer frame on wheels significant to the engine project ?....

AND, are you the same JimK who helped me out... @ KFS

It is more engine stand at this point. Something to make it easier to work on and move around. In time I plan to put a pair of 3500# torsion axles under it. It'll need some suspension to mover it more than a few miles. I'd like to display it someday but there aren't too many venues that it fits into. Maybe the hot rod hangout some Sat night. Those guy's think the have so much power, Yes, I was there back in the day. Very nice to cross paths again, Howard. Jim

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Edited by jimk

• 11 months later...

Engine stand is 7'9" tall and about 17-1/2' ft long. The motor mount would normally bolt to the wing spar with just 4 bolts. Hopefully next month I'll use the Stalwart to mount engine. Torsion axles should lower trailer 4 inches.

painted (1).jpg

painted (3).jpg

painted (5).jpg

Edited by jimk

Here's a Rolls Royce Griffon starting & running. A mere 2,240 cu in & 2-2,500hp!

Your's should an absolute doozy! You'll need a petrol bowser to run it!;)

Sadly, I guess that the H&S fascists will stop you running it.

• 3 weeks later...
You must have an understanding wife ...

No, but I'd like to find one. I was having lunch at the diner yesterday, with pal Dave, after putting the Stalwart away (after a local truck show). He was telling me that I should find someone, that a team has many benefits, how his new-ish wife likes to cook, just for the sake of cooking.... Somewhere along the line I joked, "I need to find a girl that likes sandblasting (the inside of the v100 a soon to be nasty summer task). He laughed then said, "you'll find her but she'll probably like women". Soo, the turret is a T50 or something. The Aussies used them on the 113 too. The over-spray slowly fades away. It made a mess on the GTO which was quite a way away in another room. It was heavier than usual. The paint did not hide well. had to get another 1/2 gal (5 qts total). Maybe 6 coats. The green should be a little more drab... Nice design on the mount. Poetry if you like to fabricate. Chrome-molybdenum allo tubes. They have very thin walls. The parts that stick out are for cowl flaps. The lower 2 frame mount holes came out 1/2" too narrow. That was better than expected and I thought it'd surely give a bit. I thought wrong. It put up a fight even w/ monster ratchet tie downs fighting for more than they were designed for. I may go back and egg out each hole 1/4". Very rigid. Sorta like some guy's wives. Hope to to hang the engine next week or two. Afterwards it may be a long time before I return to this project.

Started an album for the 4360 project. Added photos above and others. I'll add 2 of them here.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/album.php?albumid=743

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

Edited by jimk

• 1 month later...

Let's assume we find a way to blow 250 mph -20*F air over the cylinder heads. The mug on the Stalwart isn't very hydrodynamic so I'd guess 20 mph might be a realistic top speed, fully loaded. With petrol consumption around 6 gallons per minute and 3 minutes to go one mile we're talking about 18 gallons per mile. Since the marine cargo load is 4 metric tons, half of which will be used for the engine and mechanicals, we have room for 2 tons of fuel. At 7 lbs per gallon we'll have 628.5 gallons for a range of 34.9 miles. The required fuel is 115/145 PN is not available today but we can use 100LL avgas and add 3 grams of lead per gallon. Quick look shows aviation 100LL at about $6.38 gallon here in the Northeast US (cheap by your standards) for $4009.83 dollars to go the 34.9 miles. This cost does not including the cost of the lead, or oil. I don't know where to buy tetraethyl lead so I just looked on ebay. No luck...

Then there's the muffler problem.

And we'll need a decent fire extinguisher.

ps I always use petrol/ tyre when talking about a British vehicle.

Edited by jimk
100/130 PN octane wrong

• 7 years later...

Where is that stand?  We are needing to move several 4360's (Power Packs)  for our flyable C-97 across the country from Wyoming to NJ.  I'm interested in acquiring that rusty Power Pack Dolly.  

Kevin Kearney

Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation

airlift48@aol.com