Billy Smart's Mack at Bentley Wildfowl and Motor Museum.

Having visited the above museum last week I was surprised to see a very tidy example of one of Billy Smarts Mack's sitting outside the museum building.

The motor museum is made up of mainly privately owned vehicles from the 1930's to the early 1990's on loan to the museum. Most of the vehicles are run of the mill cars but also include a couple of Bentley's and a rather nice Aston Martin Lagonda.

Does anyone know the history of this Mack and also how many Mack's did Billy Smart's have?

Regards

Ross

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4739.jpg

Edited by Rosco

This Mack still has the original petrol lump in her, last we saw it running albeit not well and being recovered from Ardingly a few years back.

Lamas Motors in Redhill had an auction last year where one more Mack unrestored and a Reo both bought from Smarts and still in their faded livery came out of store and were auctioned off, to the best of my knowledge both sold.

As has already been pointed out on the thread there was one for sale last year, which later re-appeared on eBay following the sale. Don't know if this one got saved, but hopefully it did.

A quick search online and you can find pictures of the following Billy Smarts Mack's

Billy Smart's Circus Parade in Bradford, 1960s, Mack NM 6x6 truck JGF 365

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29080235@N08/7139732323/

Whilst there was one also on this HMVF thread: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?7998-Hunt-s-Yard-photos

Also on a Fairground and Circus Forum I go on it mentions that there was a feature on the Billy Smarts Mack Trucks in the January 2012 issue of Heritage Commercials.

As for numbers can really help on that front.

Scott

It's rumoured that Mack had a huge amount of money spent on the restoration and paint, so not sure why the engine used to sound like a box of Chinese fire crackers..hopefully fixed by now.

That's a perfect choice of words to describe its running Bernard , I was going to say she ran like a sack os s... But thought better of it :cheesy:

Thanks for the information, looks like it has had a large amount of money spent on it judging by the photos of its restoration.

Regards

Ross

Just wondering, I'm guessing that the Mack doesn't sit outside of the museum and was brought to the event by someone?

Scott

as far I know it sits outside like that, its just down the road from where I store my trucks.

Jeez I was hoping that wouldn't be the case as its a shame if its open to all weathers.

Scott

When I visited the house and museum on a wednesday it was just a normal opening day, there was no special event on or anything so would guess the truck spends all the time outside.

Regards

Ross