Cotswolds War on the line

Wasnt planning to go to this one, but spend the day fixing the Jeep. Anyone, i went over for the afternoon with my youngest and really enjoyed it. I didnt take many photos but the place was very busy although the weather was rather cold. Saw some very nice vehicles. I really liked the Thornycroft (Nubian i think) which i hadnt seen before.

IMG_1911_zps3380cbde.jpg

IMG_1888_zps056d1930.jpg

IMG_1887_zpsb22b28ab.jpg

IMG_1885_zpsf4dac17a.jpg

A gorgeous Morris (which has featured here before)

IMG_1883_zpsc8aad5e3.jpg

This number and colour scheme looked original. RAF?

IMG_1884_zps3fc1c4fc.jpg

Nathans loveley new restored MW

IMG_1881_zpse7d85370.jpg

A WW1 Feldbahn. They have another one of these about to make its debut

IMG_1889_zpseb40e66f.jpg

IMG_1915_zpse79238d0.jpg

IMG_1918_zpsf48a4501.jpg

Great pictures - I presume this was at the Glos/Warks railway at Toddington? Any chance of you posting a picture of the QL lurking in the background? The War Department 8F looks great too, and interesting to see that the builders plate is circular, as far as I was aware, North British always used diamond shaped plates on their locos. Mike

there's some really grand looking trucks there and a bit more out of the usual that folk display :) ...s'cuse my ignorance ....but what is the third photo down? the blunt nosed truck with the reg TNT 429 ?....I know it's mother ugly but...it's somehow 'speaking' to me ! :)

there's some really grand looking trucks there and a bit more out of the usual that folk display :) ...s'cuse my ignorance ....but what is the third photo down? the blunt nosed truck with the reg TNT 429 ?....I know it's mother ugly but...it's somehow 'speaking' to me ! :)

It's an Austin K5 also known as a 'Screamer'. Anyone on here own it?

:) how did that name come about I wonder??? ...from the lack of brakes or handling ? haha :)

I really like the British vehicles though....to my mind I always think of different 'bits' of the war....

.the British trucks always seem to say 'Dunkirk and the BEF'... whereas the US ones say 'D-Day ' ....

.well... they do to me anyways! :-D

Yes its mine Robert along with the C8, had it a couple of years & hope to have her tidied up a bit beford W&P this year. Ian

Great pictures - I presume this was at the Glos/Warks railway at Toddington? Any chance of you posting a picture of the QL lurking in the background? The War Department 8F looks great too, and interesting to see that the builders plate is circular, as far as I was aware, North British always used diamond shaped plates on their locos. Mike

QL for you Mike

007.JPG

:) how did that name come about I wonder??? ...from the lack of brakes or handling ? haha :)

I really like the British vehicles though....to my mind I always think of different 'bits' of the war....

.the British trucks always seem to say 'Dunkirk and the BEF'... whereas the US ones say 'D-Day ' ....

.well... they do to me anyways! :-D

If you listen to one go by you will understand why it got that name, and when you change gear you will think that the gear box fell to bits............ its got a real sound that cannot be duplicated by any other vehicle. We used them in Germany in the 1950s, if you were a passenger in the back, you would not believe the racket that it made when changing gear.

The north British loco plate on my wall is certainly a diamond shape

:) how did that name come about I wonder??? :-D

The name "Screamer" is due to the transfer box and the double helical gears in it. No other Austin makes such a prominent whine and although the gearbox itself has a distinct note, as does a Bedford, it is the transfer box that gives a K5 its nickname. regards, Richard

Thanks Ian, not seen that one before - any idea who it belongs to? Had a quick look but can't see it on the QL register.

By the way, how is your QL coming along?

Mike.

I think its from a private collection at Lechlade Glos/Oxon border, I met him at another local event last year.

Not much happened on my QL due to the long cold winter & other projects, but the engine / gearbox are now rebuilt.

We hope to restart on her in about a month or 2 once & get the chassis / body blasted & painted & engine fitted.