DO 17 raising

ruxy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_68094671_boat2.jpg

A German World War II bomber has been raised from the bottom of the English Channel.

The Dornier 17 aircraft was shot down off the Kent coast more than 70 years ago during the Battle of Britain.

Believed to be the only intact example of its kind in the world, it has laid in 50ft (15m) of water on the Goodwin Sands.

Attempts by the RAF Museum to salvage the relic have been hit by strong winds over the last few weeks.

The BBC's Nick Higham on board the salvage barge said the weather conditions for the hour-long operation were "near perfect" on Monday evening.

The salvage almost had to be postponed again when the rope from one of the salvage barge's four anchors got wrapped around its propeller, but the crew were able to free it in time to take advantage of the helpful tidal conditions, our correspondent said.

The aircraft will now be restored at a site in Shropshire before eventually going on display at the RAF Museum in Hendon, north London.

Museum spokesman Ajay Srivastava said: "It has been lifted and is now safely on the barge and in one piece.

"The operation has been an absolute success, the aircraft looks great and I believe it will be towed into port tomorrow morning."

Notice all the subtle softening up for the bad news after all the hype.

Quote"Should the weather provide additional challenges to the actual integrity of the aircraft, the Museum is committed to salvaging the parts it can in order to treat, examine and exhibit this incredible part of aviation history" from official site

Big jump from air craft in good condition

perhaps nows a good time to convert one of those polytunnels to growing lettuce or something on hydroponics

God to see was proved wrong ;)

The way some people on here were describing what would be left I'm very surprised to see so much of it...

For a start, ditching into the sea, is worse than a hard belly landing on ground. Add to that, 70 years of salt water, tidal action and trawlers nets tugging at it. It's amazing what they have got. Cleaned up, laid out on the ground with all the right bits in the right places, and not only will you have something that looks like a Dornier 17, but a display that will make you stop and think.

I'm glad they got it out in less pieces than I thought they would but why are they saying the engines are intact when they aren't fitted all I can see are the engine bearers on the end of the nacelles? Will look forward to seeing how much else they get up and how well the conservation goes.

For a start, ditching into the sea, is worse than a hard belly landing on ground. Add to that, 70 years of salt water, tidal action and trawlers nets tugging at it. It's amazing what they have got. Cleaned up, laid out on the ground with all the right bits in the right places, and not only will you have something that looks like a Dornier 17, but a display that will make you stop and think.

Well said

Your attitude is getting rather repetitive and boring now. Moderators, is there anything we can do about this. Trolling seems rife in this thread.

Agree..

Cosrec we are continually receiving complaints about your attitude on the forum, as stated in post #44 if you have nothing useful to add then please don't bother posting at all. Please STOP baiting the members.

We are all here with common interests, Restoration of Military Vehicles/Equipment, Preserving History & Keeping alive the memories of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you decide not to take note then you leave us no alternative than to reconsider your membership of the forum.

If you would like to discuss this then please PM any one of the HMVF Team.

Thank You

I'd presume the engines or at the very least the cranks are there somewhere as the props are!

Not sure if its a radial engine or an inline engine if it was the first I suspect that most of the cylinders would be removed in the ditching.

At the moment it doesn't look that good and I'll be surprised if it doesn't soak up more money than expected. I would like to hope that they had a contingency plan for any unexpected issues. I do hope that it is better than it looks at first glance now that they have raised it from the sea. I only wish that it looked as good as some of the aircraft that have been raised from the Norwegian Fjords and Russia.

This is one of the aircraft I was thinking about just for how it looks visually

http://navalairhistory.com/2012/11/23/heinkel-he115-brought-into-the-sun-at-sola/

Not sure if its a radial engine or an inline engine if it was the first I suspect that most of the cylinders would be removed in the ditching.

At the moment it doesn't look that good and I'll be surprised if it doesn't soak up more money than expected. I would like to hope that they had a contingency plan for any unexpected issues. I do hope that it is better than it looks at first glance now that they have raised it from the sea. I only wish that it looked as good as some of the aircraft that have been raised from the Norwegian Fjords and Russia.

http://navalairhistory.com/2012/11/23/heinkel-he115-brought-into-the-sun-at-sola/

The Heinkel raising is a spectacular sight to see, but water conditions helped save the structure and condition. Was it fresh water lake, colder etc...!

The simple fact is that being the only DO 17 , the RAF Museum had to do it regardless of the cost . The money came in and the major part of being physically saved is complete, conservation / condition monitoring will always be ongoing - more so because it is the only DO 17. Again , to harp on - it is the only DO 17 and that will make it a major museum attraction , a national attraction for foreign tourists. The fact that UK is now a nation of greater museum attractions and at the same time a lesser manufacturing nation is a moot point. A price was placed on this historical artifact and it will never be too great now or in the future.

Would the Germans have carried out a similar project in the Baltic - most probably.

Agree..

Cosrec we are continually receiving complaints about your attitude on the forum, as stated in post #44 if you have nothing useful to add then please don't bother posting at all. Please STOP baiting the members.

We are all here with common interests, Restoration of Military Vehicles/Equipment, Preserving History & Keeping alive the memories of those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

If you decide not to take note then you leave us no alternative than to reconsider your membership of the forum.

If you would like to discuss this then please PM any one of the HMVF Team.

Thank You

Point taken and accepted i will let the craft speak for its self from now on

According to the reports the engines are still at the bottom awaiting to be lifted.

Edit - Both of the engines have been pulled up according to reports on RAF Museum twitter page. A wing tip is to follow before the journey to Cosford this PM.

Edited by Smithy

http://www.maryrose.org/

what more needs to be said....

The Mary Rose is quite an interesting comparison. A big budget to lift it, with a lifting frame that didn't do entirely to plan as I recall, and while they got an impressive lump, it is probably less that half of the ship, due to the way the parts above the sand/slit rotted away. Then for 30 years it was hidden away in a dark mist filled building being treated, and yet still drew visitors to look through the murky windows, me amongst them, at this rare piece of history. Now, it has a brand new visitors centre and still drawing crowds.

I hope the Dornier holds the same interest for people for decades to come.

It would have been fitted with Brama 323P air cooled radials.