DO 17 raising

ruxy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be in for some good weather over the next week so hopefully will get sorted in that time.

Cosford announced online and in other media outlets that they were hopeful of having it in place on the museum grounds by the end of this weekend. That now looks unlikely.

Is it only me being sceptical or are the press releases on this subject subtly moving from “In very good condition protected by the sands to very corroded frail only just announced its split 1/3 of the way around ” Notice we are getting the go for broke messages wont be here in a years time (priceless object cobblers).. Blown huge amounts of money on a lifting frame that is not going to work going back to using slings that we are told in a roundabout way may not get it up in one lump. Costs gone from £350,000 to £500,000 + what it costs to stabilise it. Then what ever comes to the surface will not be recognisable to the general public as the once grand machine that flew over Britain. Probably be of more interest to marine biologists. What will become of it with my basic knowledge of chemistry? Different metals and acid it’s going to be turned into a battery for 2 years. Then one or more split tea bags will go on display

If I am wrong on all the above I will say so and sorry on this site unreservedly

hope someone who is in charge of project is willing to do same if i am right

Churchill

Criticism may not be agreeable but it is the same as pain in the human body it draws attention to an unhealthy state of things

Edited by cosrec

All of the above might be true, but I wish them good fortune, as I personally speaking, are glad they are at least trying to save the last one. The amount of money is small compared to other less significant projects.

How much does the time team cost to produce every series, in order to find another five pieces of old roman pot every program and to hear Phil Harding say "ere tony look wot oi found" ?

Even a corroded pile of German barnacle coloured aluminium in a museum would make me think of those brave people during the war that saved our country from the nazis and put the bomber were it was found, instead of it ending up on the end of a British runway, and they make me even prouder to be British.

this is only my own personal feelings and I am not trying to provoke any disagreements.

have a great day.

Costs gone from £350,000 to £500,000 + what it costs to stabilise it.

I suppose we could always give that sort of money away in foreign aid, so that it can be squandered away, rather than saving a piece of history with which to educate future generations...

Notice all the subtle softening up for the bad news after all the hype.

Quote"Should the weather provide additional challenges to the actual integrity of the aircraft, the Museum is committed to salvaging the parts it can in order to treat, examine and exhibit this incredible part of aviation history" from official site

Big jump from air craft in good condition

perhaps nows a good time to convert one of those polytunnels to growing lettuce or something on hydroponics

Edited by cosrec

All this project reminds me of is Fools and Horses.

Rewrite Fools and Horses Chandelier.

Set Scene Del and Rodney walking about on crumpled wreckage on barge.

Grand dad “was it valuable Dell”

Dell boy “ When it was down there it was Priceless

There hasn't been a complete Dornier 17 for 60 years let alone one in airworthy trim, I admit i'm a little concerned at how the lift has now decended into "well we're here and we've got this far so lets drag it up anyway and see what we are left with", once the plan with the lifting frame was abandoned I wish they had decided to stop and revisit it when time and conditions allowed. I really hope it comes out ok but have seen too many rushed jobs recently to not be a little cynical.

Edited by spanter
Spelling

OK, so yes it is a lot of money but what price do you put on history? We all know of bits of history that we wished the nationed had saved and in 10, 20, 100 years time our nation may be so pleased someone took the plunge and got the job done.

OK, so yes it is a lot of money but what price do you put on history? We all know of bits of history that we wished the nationed had saved and in 10, 20, 100 years time our nation may be so pleased someone took the plunge and got the job done.

It's not often that it happens, (puts note in diary), but agree with the Jack. When its gone or wrecked by the swirl of prop blades under the channel, it will be like it will never have existed apart from reference books.

My scorce tells me the Museum had a dornier gifted to them when it opened by Farnbourgh all though he isnt sure of its model no. It had been flown and evaluated by a british test pilot after its capture during the war. It was scrapped after it was damged accidently (fire maybe?) somehow while at the museum

Dornier 17Z-3 U5+LK was tested by the RAE before being put into storage for a potential post war "victory" exhibition. It was in the Air Historical Branch store by about 1950 but was at some point scrapped.

It was never part of the RAF Museum.

The lift is starting to take place as we speak. Although an hour ago it was said that it would be midnight, a change in the tide means they have been able to start the lift early. Will be interesting to see how it all ends up.

Scott