Morris quad update

Thought I'd post an update on my quad restoration - my last post was in April 2011!!! Progress has been glacial - too many projects and the real world encroaches too much.

Crane has been removed - went to Rusty Trucks (Paul Brook who posts on forum) in part exchange for work on M38a1. I now have 3 vehicles on the road.....

Hoping to have body panels and lockers sorted by end of summer - just need to work out how it all assembles.

Thanks to the help of Frank Brown (of canvas fame!) the old girl (or beast as my wife calls her) cam back to life. Change of points and a clear out of the autovac and she was running. Amazing - after 40 years the engine ran without a cough.

Hoping to crack on over the summer which I anticipate to be a glorious one.

Will be looking for some 10.50x16 tyres which are as rare as...the originals are war time dated!

Also looking for the rear pulley set up ( see attached scan)

Thanks to everyone for advice/ help to date

All the best

Picture 014a.jpg

quad012.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am also restoring a quad. A MK3 with the beetle back body. It's a very long term project as the parts are hard got. You have a lot more of the body than me, I would be very grateful if you could post as many pics as possible, Thanks.

Best of luck, Ross

• 4 weeks later...

There is such satisfaction when an engine is returned to life for the first time in your ownership, a feeling that is hard to beat!

Well done that man, I look forward to more pici's and video's, the beetle back has always had me fascinated.

• 2 months later...

Managed to get some work done on quad over the last few weeks.

Tyres removed from rims.

Rims shot blasted and primed.

First lot of paint!!!

Been looking at tyres. Mitas 10.50x16 IM-01, Tread pattern is close to trak grip style, I know these fit british rims too.

Will be needing tubes and flaps - there is a thread discussing this - does anyone no a source of 10.50x16 tubes?

Any comments on tyres welcome.

Photo 08-09-2013 15 24 07.jpg

• 2 years later...

Very slow progress on quad but good weather has given me a chance to get some work done. Putting brakes back together and this happened to brake return Spring when trying to put back on. I assume it shouldn't end up looking like this!

image.jpg

seems to have stretched out of shape.

Does anyone one have a spare(s) or know where I could get them - tried PowerTrak but no luck.

Also is there a method/ tool which helps to get them back on? Amazingly difficult the way I am doing it!

Cheers

Martin

You could try these folks.

Airedale Springs, Keighley, Yorks. 01535 643456

They make springs to order, if you go to their website, they have a guide chart on how to measure the spring you need.

Their sales dep't are very knowledgeable and helpful. No job too small sort of thing

You could try these folks.

Airedale Springs, Keighley, Yorks. 01535 643456

They make springs to order, if you go to their website, they have a guide chart on how to measure the spring you need.

Their sales dep't are very knowledgeable and helpful. No job too small sort of thing

Thanks Rob - info much appreciated

Martin

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Work continues on the quad..

Meanwhile...engine rebuild on Morris C8 GS is going well (fingers crossed!). Good weekend with Julien Morgan (of Abergavenny). Hopefully in position to install engine in May.

Does anyone know a good source for Morris C8 oil seals for transfer gearbox (axle shaft) or the correct ref no.for these.

Also may need new clutch plate - any suppliers/sources that anyone is aware of?

Cheers

Martin

attachment.php?attachmentid=124823&stc=1

Photo 08-04-2017, 20 11 59.jpg

• 10 months later...