M prefix bonnet numbers for British jeeps

scottgpw42

Hi All,

Could use some help as repainting my jeep. It is a 42 GPW and I am putting it into British. Any advice on colour paint BS numbers would be welcome.

I'm thinking BS381C - 298 from Military Vehicle paints. Also matt or satin finish?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim

• 3 years later...

If you know or suspect your jeep is ex British army, you can go on the RLC archives website. It costs £30 for them to look and they may not find anything. If they do, it will be what's called a key card. It shows the post war registration of two numbers, two letters, two numbers, the chassis number, the wartime M number (they weren't always painted on the bonnet) the contract number bought under, whether it's a Ford or Willys and other odd bits of information. Mine says it was sold off by the Ministry of Supply on 15/01/59. Unfortunately there are no unit records for mine. Some exist, but not always. The research is easy if you know the post war registration but it can be done by chassis number. The key card is sent by email as a digital copy.

I got a copy of the post war key card for my Jeep (I think it was Kew?) For the first time in over 30 years of ownership, I now know it's M number. Mine is the last one on this card. Interestingly it wasn't demobbed till 1959 so must have been one of the last.

I was advised by a guy on this site who was running a British Jeep register. I believe he has a Facebook page now.

Ron

scan key card 29YJ13.jpg

scan-160614-0002.jpg

Jeep 133.JPG

• Like 2