Unusual Camouflaged Denim WW2 British Windproof Smock

wdbikemad

007.jpg

Bit of a rarity here....the first pattern WW2 windproof smock as introduced in 1941, made in drab heavy denim until 1942, lightweight sand colour cotton from 42-43, lightweight cammo cotton from 43 onwards plus heavy white cotton (for snow) also from '43.........why is this one unusual...? Well, it's the ONLY cammo denim version I have ever seen, and it's dated quite late too (1943). Cammo print is the early 1942-era hand-applied "splodge" brushed pattern, but this one looks to also incorporate some parts in a different print/colour (typical of bulk factory production and also found on some DPM garments).......these were originally introduced in denim in 1941 for "cold, snowless" conditions as part of the mountain troops kit, but I've only seen plain drab examples before, never a cammo version........annoyingly, part of the label has been blanked-out and crossed with a red "X" that I've also seen on a number of ex-WD Denisons (indicating disposal...??).........almost new, little used condition, VERY heavy and a huge (chest) size........had this one for years......

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...