Tour DUKW sinks

Nick Johns

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be the end for the Liverpool amphibious tours, two sinkings in a few months and the operating Company is already under investigation by VOSA and Traffic Commisioners from incidents last year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-22933627

The modern alternative is the Amphicoach, very impressive built in Holland to full European specification

http://www.amphicoach.net/

Edited by Nick Johns

it's a shame. it was on my to do list after saving up for it.

what is going to happen with the dukw's?

and wikth the job loss that goes with it??

They have all been greatly modified and most of the original fittings and superstructure has been removed,

The London DUKW tours still operate but are on borrowed time as no new licences will be granted for any other DUKWs they have been legislated out of use in a lot of other countries too

Sinking caused by a tyre wrapped around the prop which then tore a hole through the hull

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-06-18/yellow-duckmarine-company-statement/

Edited by Nick Johns

Here's a report on the sinking of a Passenger Tour Stalwart & DUKW.. gives an insight how mechanical failure due to lack of maintenance (Stalwart) & Human error (DUKW) can sink these vehicles.. in the case of the DUKW in the report with fatal results..

Stalwart & DUKW Sinking.pdf

Edited by Marmite!!

They have all been greatly modified and most of the original fittings and superstructure has been removed,

The London DUKW tours still operate but are on borrowed time as no new licences will be granted for any other DUKWs they have been legislated out of use in a lot of other countries too

Sinking caused by a tyre wrapped around the prop which then tore a hole through the hull

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-06-18/yellow-duckmarine-company-statement/

Apparently they interviewed Rex Ward on the cause and problem that caused the sinking , on local radio today.

He said same, tyre round prop, ripping out the bearing holder (carrier) causing prop to flap about like dick in a bucket (yes, thats a technical term...!!!) damaging hull and causing water ingress!!

They are highly modified close up, not much original left after all the military has been removed and civilian / safety has been put in its place.

The ones in singapore look just like the military left them apart from the roofs, hoods, covers etc, even still got the bullet holes in them!!!!

good link that lee and thought provoking for us mv owners on the whole gambit of letting public climb in mvs look round possibly owner take them for a drive or swim etc!

Yes a very detailed report.. may add that one to the reference documents board..

Wow that Miss Majestic report is scary....2 and a half turns on a jubilee clip made the difference between life and death...

Certainly a wake up call for anyone thinking of taking an Amphibious Military Vehicle to water.

I see from the number plate that the Dukw that sank recently in Albert Dock is in fact one of Rex Ward's old preserved MV's from the show circuit. I can remember him finishing this restoration as the number plate is RSY, which he joking commented to me stood for 'Rex and Shelia's Yatch!"

Jeremey Vine did a good feature on this story earlier in the week on BBC Radio 2 and gave the whole Dukw Tours a real slating. My old one (that in a former life was rolled on the M6 when hit from behind by an artic lorry) is still doing sterling work for Viking Splash Tours in Dublin Harbour.

I do however think the days of operating these dukw tours are now numbered. Perhaps they will trickle back into collectors hand and be returned to wartime configuration and preservation. Lets face it, restored GMC Dukw's are a rarer sight on the show circuit these days than Sherman tanks!

This account of someone who was on-board when it started to sink was in our local paper the other day: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2013/06/18/sedgley-family-we-thought-we-would-die-as-the-yellow-duckmarine-sank-in-liverpool/

There is a video embedded within the page showing how quickly it went under as well.

Scott

That is one group of very lucky people!!:wow: Having worked in a professional Rescue team myself that could have quite easily turned into body recovery situation. Which is the reason I stopped the job because we didnt do much rescue but mainly body recovery:cry:

Sad news to hear the operating firm has been forced into administration.. As someone else said earlier that will affect a lot of jobs and thus a lot of families...

Local news report last nite had interview with the administration company. Its not over yet.

They have done it to prevent going under or operating at a loss. The DUKW`s are getting the full it and full inspections by relevant boards.

They are looking at putting sponsons around the sides as flotation aids (like on Dublin ones) and maybe just doing a limited road service first without the splashdown.

They have had to lay off 30 staff to keep the company afloat (sorry for pun!), but maintenance remain and admin.

Be a shame to see these mothballed because of unsafe docks, but I see the point made about the prop cage too. maybe it will be taken on board (pun central today...!!!).:undecided: