Bedford MWD restoration

37 minutes ago, fv1609 said:

Jeremy looks pretty good in the pictures, but it was delight to experience the real thing at Caldicot & savour the detail & also meet Mrs Rivet. Well done.

Always nice to meet and chat Clive, glad you approve of the MW and Mrs R 😎 great wkend at Caldicot castle wartime wheels 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Another busy day down t'shed having missed last wkend mooting about the Beaulieu  autojumble finding lots of goodies. 

Used a dwell meter to check the dizzy, all seems ok plus double checked the timing and stuck a vacuum gauge on the inlet manifold again and all seems good.

Then pulled the truck out after it had stopped raining and got stuck into fitting the bow hoops. 

20180526_145829.thumb.jpg.43cf77995f7a1d815918a38c291d1a1b.jpg

Having no real idea how the new canvas would sit on the rear body I left the uprights long and used blocks of wood or clamps to set their positions roughly. 

20180526_153219.thumb.jpg.d7f2a3afae78a3438940ec4afa533288.jpg

Little bit saggy but some adjustments will sort it.

20180526_165600.thumb.jpg.ac23c92744a04df565f60d582039d0a9.jpg

Need to stop the canvas pulling the front and rear hoops towards each other and hopefully remove some of the sag.

20180526_165359.thumb.jpg.618ad1793b9cb6dc76c030394cf05f8b.jpg

20180526_165327.thumb.jpg.539028b515357653df2b4d748a83539a.jpg

More to do next visit 😁 must thank Frank Brown for a superb job on the canvas 😁

Edited by rampant rivet
  • Like 2

Hi Jez ...Great work as always..looking good.

Just a point re saggy canvas .I am no expert but thought I read somewhere the canvas should be made over size to allow for 5%(?) shrinkage.??? May be get it wet before final tweaking ?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, andy1960 said:

Hi Jez ...Great work as always..looking good.

Just a point re saggy canvas .I am no expert but thought I read somewhere the canvas should be made over size to allow for 5%(?) shrinkage.??? May be get it wet before final tweaking ?

Good point well made,  get it well wet then let it stand on the truck until it dries out again depending on the type of weave it may well shrink in both length and width by a noticeable amount 

Edited by Pete Ashby

Yes Frank allows an extra % to allow for shrinkage as per the original factory drawings, the problem is that the front and rear hoops are not exactly upright so allow for the sagging, will have to remedy this by possibly fitting hooks to tubes over the top of the side boards, but can only do that after I finalise the height of the bow hoops after the canvas has shrunk, or fit horizontal tubes to hold the tubes upright and rigid. 

Looking great Jeremy! I assume you have welded the angle irons on the inside of the uprights of each hoop at a later stage? They are at a fixed distance and rest on the top of the side boards and so the height of the tilt is determined?

Danny

Jeremy,

The tubes are kept right up by some horizontal tubes at the top which also prevent the canvas from hanging down to some extent. You probably know about this also but I think you should add them before the shrinkage so that tubes could function as a mould to fit the canvas properly and you do not have to strain afterwards?

Danny 

2 hours ago, rampant rivet said:

Yes Frank allows an extra % to allow for shrinkage as per the original factory drawings, the problem is that the front and rear hoops are not exactly upright so allow for the sagging, will have to remedy this by possibly fitting hooks to tubes over the top of the side boards, but can only do that after I finalise the height of the bow hoops after the canvas has shrunk, or fit horizontal tubes to hold the tubes upright and rigid. 

Hi Jeremy,

REME Inspection Standards stated that, and I quote: 'shrinking allowance on new canvas is approx. 1.5" inches per yard along the warp of the material; whenever possible canvas should be shrunk before being made up.'

Hope this is of use.

regards, Richard

3 hours ago, Maurice said:

Danny on the Early drop side bodies , there are no top tubes fitted , just the 3 bows like Jeremy has made them .

Maurice is correct the early 15cwt's were intended as open rear bodies with a flat sheet this design feature followed through into early Canadian 11 cab CMP's 15cwts as well the idea being that the hoops could be stacked into the front loops when not in use without having side bars to unbolt and store.   The addition of canvas rear covers was given a separate identifier by the Chadians who classed them as 'Vans'  usually seen in the personnel, anti tank gun tractor or FFW role,  Iv'e not seen this form of nomenclature used for British trucks however.

Edited by Pete Ashby

Jeremy , the  brackets for the tubes should be U shaped , they go over the sideboards on both sides , and are welded to the bows , a bit enological , because on the bottom of the bows they are in the rounded brackets , and dan come a bit outwards because of the thickness of the U shaped holders , these prevent as well that the bows wiggle for an backwards , the U`s are locked in place with the rectangular blocks which are bolted to the body .

Top tubes fitted to the hoops on these early bedfords, captured by germans in Dunkirk? Who can tell?

125224d1280340802-bedford-mw-truck-1942-a-helmet-bank2-159_800x600.jpg?s=6e486418fb9cfc159bc182b20730e2b9

59dcf50709291_bedfordmw11.jpg.a59f52bde19d400abac6c1717d4cc863.jpg

But I have to admit that I also found some pictures without top tubes.

Cheers,

Danny

Edited by Danny P

Hi Danny 

Looks like both these trucks have "new" owners post Dunkirk, both sets of hoops look ersatz to me, I'm restoring my MW as used by the British Army so would like to get it as accurate as pos . Nice pics though, don't think I've seen the second one before.

J.