Bedford MWD restoration

Rubbed down the chassis yesterday ready for final coat of paint but have to be careful as a pair of Robins have built a nest on some shelving next to the truck so am concentrating on the woodwork for the cab floor for the time being till the squatters move out :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90981[/ATTACH]

Tucked in behind the hub spanner are my new friends :D lucking I don't need anything under their nest.

Nice. I found a nest (Blackbirds I think) between the rear wheels of My REO when I went up to do some painting, should be gone by the time I need to move it.

• 5 weeks later...
Sorry not much posted lately what with the trip to Normandy and returning home very ill I've been laid low and am not sure at the mo if I'll make it to Evesham with the champ thing :rolleyes:

A very ick Rivet :(

Hi Rivet,

Sorry to hear that. I went down with a flu bug a couple of days after getting home, with a bad chest cough, starting to clear now but felt rough last week. Good to meet you at last to.

regards, Richard

Nice to meet you too Richard :-D I still didn't get to measure the Mw up, I am hoping there will be one or two at Evesham on the weekend, my Dysentery symptoms are improving after losing over a stone in weight and I have been given permission to attend the show as long as I take it easy :nut:

Hi Rivet

Have just read the whole thread . . .

How you fellas create such a turn-around amazes me, is there any vehicle parts that cannot be sourced or reproduced ??

I am looking at creating a model of the MW and would like to know if the bonnet top panel lifts along with the bonnet 'side panel' ?? I think it does as i think the hinge runs along the full length but would just like confirmation. many thanks.

Crackin restoration;)

Bowser 1107

Thanks Bowser :-D most bits can be found or reproduced it just takes time, effort and a bit of luck plus help from mates and forums like this.

As regards the bonnet it has a centre hinge running down the middle, the two lower panels hook onto the bonnet and are held in place with internal and external springs.

RR.

• 2 weeks later...

Yaay !! :D back working on the truck after what seems ages have managed to put final coat of paint on chassis.

100_4319.jpg

100_4335.jpg

100_4320.jpg

100_4318.jpg

Managed to get some colour on the bulkhead and bits n bobs.

100_4317.jpg

Have turned some insulators for the horn assembly as well :D now the paints sorted I can start fitting exhaust system , radiator , bulkhead and inst panel which should allow the engine to be run for the first time :drive:

Edited by rampant rivet

Now that is just showing Off Jeremy! Wood turning :shocked: ;) :cool2:

Noo not really I would have used nylon or tuffnol if I had some but as I usually have odd bits of hardwood lying around I thought I'd try that first, by the way have you sorted your charging prob on the piggy ? I have two generators under the bench in the shed should you be in need, not sure if they are any good though :)

Noo not really I would have used nylon or tuffnol if I had some but as I usually have odd bits of hardwood lying around I thought I'd try that first, by the way have you sorted your charging prob on the piggy ? I have two generators under the bench in the shed should you be in need, not sure if they are any good though :)

The Genny spins like a motor doing the EMER power test, so all seems well. TBC!

I have discovered some damaged cables inside the Genny panel and scorching, so I suspect that's the culprit.

I am happy to borrow a Genny from you to do a double check once I have the wiring fixed, so I will drop you a nod about it via text.

Hope you are back up to 100% fitness now buddy ;)

Have two spare genny panels in t'shed if you need one :-D and yes thanks I am firing on all cylinders again :D

You may be A Life saver! Can I borrow please. Pretty please.

Glad to hear you are better ;)

I pass along the A40 from Glos on way home so could swing by if you are home from work about 18.30-19.00hrs?

You may be A Life saver! Can I borrow please. Pretty please.

Glad to hear you are better ;)

I pass along the A40 from Glos on way home so could swing by if you are home from work about 18.30-19.00hrs?

They are int shed nr Tintern, I will be there on Sat hopefully and can bring them home or you can call by and have a look at MW at the same time :-D

Good progress down t'shed today :D with a helping hand from my mate Neil we lifted the bulkhead back into position

100_4354.jpg

100_4355.jpg

This will allow me to start dry fitting the throttle linkages etc

100_4369.jpg

Exhaust system is fitted and I'll need to sorting a temp ignition circuit etc prior to an engine start up :nut:

100_4362.jpg

Had a look at sorting the engine access panels too :-)

100_4370.jpg

Last thing was to dry fit the front panel and bumper.

You keep fixing things too nicely and quickly.

Can you ensure the next rebuild has less metal and more rust so we can enjoy your threads longer :D

Mike I like this comment and it is so true of Jeremy. He is a perfectionist and his air filter is testament to that observation.

Keep up the good work Jeremy :D

Thanks chaps :) well dropped lucky this morning as I called by my joiners to pick up a set of spindles for a stairs I had to finish today and spied this waiting for me :D

100_4372.jpg

hopefully this pile of Red Grandis will soon be the new cab floor for the MW.

100_4376.jpg

Couldn't wait to get home and start sorting out the jigsaw :nut: all new timber to original dims just over length to allow for fitting.

100_4377.jpg

Many thanks to all at DJ Gardners for doing the preliminary machining for me now for the fun bit :D

Jeremy

Did you do any special prep before you sprayed the engine.

I notice it was quite mucky / surface rusty prior to the redecoration.

Sorry I did mean to ask last night :)

Cheers and thanks for the favour last night matey. :D

I'll return them soon as I have done the testing / swopping over etc.

Wotcha Wayne I pressure washed the worst of the crud off using an engine degreaser then it was lots of elbow grease with wire brush and 4" grinder with various wire wheels to get the old paint and rust off , then 2 brush coats of satin black engine enamel.

100_4379.jpg

Had an evening session looking at fitting the new cab floor timbers.

100_4378.jpg

and repairing the bulkhead heat shield.

Edited by rampant rivet

Have managed a couple of more sessions on the old truck this week :-D

100_4380.jpg

100_4381.jpg

Measure twice cut once as they say :D

100_4384.jpg

Slowly reverse engineering the floor timbers using the rotten remains as patterns.

100_4386.jpg

At last it is fitted :clap: couldn't wait any more had to see how the filter fitted to the bulkhead.

100_4387.jpg

It is satisfying when all that hard work starts to come together

100_4389.jpg

100_4393.jpg

Floor boards are cut in but still lots more fettling to do.

100_4396.jpg

Edited by rampant rivet