Recommended Gearbox Oil - 1942 WD/CO

RE350WD/CO

I'd love to know what the `correct` equivalent oil is also, as our mil xref books at work dont have any of the wdco milspec oils in them. although i think the manual says castrol XL for engine and XXL for box. Ill check when i get home from work.

Chris

Edited by exlandieman

Definitely do NOT use EP gear oils in these boxes! The additives in 'Extreme Pressure' oils have a detrimental effect on bronze bushings. Most of these bikes use ordinary engine oil. With the exception of Burman boxes which require semi fluid grease. Ron

Your EP00 oil is actually a semi fluid grease used in auto lube systems on large plant. It can be used as a gear oil and only comes in 12.5 KG tubs. I have the correct full spec if you need it, but I dont know what effects a mopdern grease / oil will have on your older box as mentioned previous!

Good old engine oil is fine in these old low-tech, low speed simple 'boxes.........Burman boxes, as fitted to Matchless, Ariel and some WD/COs do specify grease, topped up with engine oil, but the modern semi-fluid stuff is a better combination as traditional grease tends to get thrown into corners and stays there..........you can get tubs of the semi-fluid from several of the classic oil suppliers in small tubs, often a litre in size.........I had heard that 16H's and Big 4's also specified grease in the 'box but haven't looked at the manuals for ages.....