wdco front brakes & hub

exlandieman

Hi,

Ive just dismantled the front hub to be horrified at what ive found. Badly brazed bits, screws with heads ground down paper thin to clear the shoes etc etc.

My questions are, are the 2 shoes diff? As on the shoes i have, which i presume are not correct, one has been filed to clear the speedo gear and hitchcocks show a left and right shoe. They are out of stock anyway.

Does anyone have a pick of the front hub showing where all the bushes and bits etc go, as not having seen a correct one , what the correct parts look like and where they go im a little stymied. Help please,

Chris

Chris did you phone Ted yet? He's in your town and usually has spares on the shelve. Even if not for sale he should be able to look at what you've got and advice. I might be able to recognise some faults with your set up but Ted is the RE man. A study of the illustrated parts list is sometimes better than the work shop manual. I have done my best with my front brake and it has the correct parts but it's still rubbish. I rely mainly on the rear brake. Ron

Hi ron,

I rang him the other day but he was at work...ill ring again tomorrow. Mine was on the verge of all falling apart and jamming....not good.

chris

Ps...just rang him again and seeing tomorrow.

Edited by exlandieman

Where on earth are the screws from? Dont tell me the pads were held on with screws? Or is it the bolts that hold the brake cam bush? The 2 brake shoes are the same, I can only guess that Hitchcocks list a left and a right because they sell an alternative part as there are no originals available.

Ididnt photo shoes and cam but the cam is def not right, its been filed also and only operates on one shoe..the trailing one at that. As you can see the bush is rather gash....the only parts hitchcocks dont have is the shoes and bush, they have cam and pin.

Chris

Are your shoes good or completly wrong? The bush is nothing fancy, a good lathe and mill can knock one up.

I may have a few other soloutions too, the WD/C and post war model G with ally brake plate used bush part number 26836 which HC have used for £5. I can see how this type compares to the steel plate version if you like?

Or, the WD/C rear wheel cam bush for the steel plate, part number 27980 is £9 from HC, this is almost the same as the front bush, it just needs trimming down which you can do on a lathe or mark it out and file the excess off. I can get dimensions in the day light if it helps?

Royal Enfield just loved to reuse and modify parts, even the Post war 1950s Model J 500cc used a WD/CO rear wheel with a extra bit for the rear wheel speedo drive. I've modified 3 post war J wheel hubs and a Meteor hub (A little more work involved with the Meteor hub) for the WD/CO.

Hi chris,

Thanks for all that....i have been given a bush and cam tonight which will fit and do the job, also an arm that fits on it....the shoes are def wrong, but just need a little (more) filing to properly clear the speedo drive. The linings are exactly the same so can replace those ok.