RE Railway Diesel Locos

I am trying to research the history of an RE Railway Diesel loco that was shipped to Suez in 1943.

The number was 37, or later 70037.

0-4-0 153 hp Diesel Shunter.

Built by Drewry Car Company in 1941 for the Ministry of Supply. Flameproofed for work in refinerys and ammunition depots.

Part of a batch of 20 built.

4 of these engines were actually landed on Juno beach post D Day the remaining 11 were shipped into Cherbourg in Sept 1944.

http://www.stichting162.nl/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/D-day-landing.jpg

Number 37 has survived and is currently stored on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Pickering N Yorks.

At some point in its life after its military service it was renumbered to 16.

It worked at Trafford Park in Manchester, then Jarrow Newcastle and finally at BP Saltend near Hull before being passed on to our group.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/plant/thumbs/thumbs_16.jpg

We believe that it returned to UK in 1947 and was sold ex Kings Newton near Derby.

Can anyone supply unit details that it would have come under?

Any detail of operations in Suez?

Any history of any of the locos?

The other locos in France were involved in rail and bridge reconstruction in the Caen area and supply depot work.

5 more locos were shipped out to the Middle East in 1952 any detail on these would also be welcomed.

As a group we are looking at the possibility of returning this loco to active use on the NYMR as it has been out of use now for about 10 years.

Any information or help would be gratefully received.

Hmm, that looks remarkably similar to a loco I drove at Long Marston in the Royal Engineers Depot. Date was probably 1985 I think. It was in lovely condition and the controls were similar to a steam loco's. It even had something resembling a firebox. However, I thought it was a Barclay.

I know that doesn't help your quest, but a lovely project.

Nige

hi

The information you require was kept at the Museum in Beverley until it closed, they were then sent to the Royal Engineers Museum at Chatham. These files hold all the information you require, I noticed that there was some surprise at locomotives being shipped to other parts of the world during WW2. One of the least known uses of locomotives operated by the British Army was in Iran on what was called the Persian corridor, in September 1941 british royal engineers commanded by Brigadier Godfrey D Rhodes was sent to operate a railway from Tehran to the port of Bandar Shah on the caspian sea. This was to take war supplies to Russia and protect Britains oil interests, in December 1941 dozens of ex LMS 2 8 0 locomotives started to arrive. In 1941 9 hundred and 78 tons a day were sent to Russia by 1943 this figure had risen to 5 thousand 4 hundred tons a day, this railway system was nicknamed the back door to Russia.

Regards

Wally

Cracking project there, I never knew they shipped over locos.

Not only that, but hundreds of miles of abandoned/bankrupt track in the from here in the states was removed and shipped overseas for use in the war effort.

The local railway museum sits where the 'Columbus, Delaware, and Marion Interurban Railway' used to run, all 72 miles of which was removed for the war effort. The rolling stock at the museum sits on donated track, of which we need more of haha.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Talking about Longmoor, why were these locomotives called "Longmoor"??

WP_001628.jpg

It's a WD type steam locomotive, shipped over to Europe, at the end of war, and used in Holland for some time, and ended up in the Dutch main railway museum in Utrecht.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi All,

Talking about Longmoor, why were these locomotives called "Longmoor"??

WP_001628.jpg

It's a WD type steam locomotive, shipped over to Europe, at the end of war, and used in Holland for some time, and ended up in the Dutch main railway museum in Utrecht.

Cheers,

Lex

Thousandth locomotive built to be ferried to Europe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD_Austerity_2-10-0_73755_Longmoor

Stanier 8F's 2-8-0 were also used on the continent during the 2nd World War. Two came back from that region quite recently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_Class_8F

Something went wrong...

ROD 2-8-0 Locomotives were used during the 1st World War for the same reasons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCR_Class_8K

R A Riddles also designed the post war steam locomotives for British Rail the 9F being a particular favourite of mine

Edited by ferrettkitt