Ferrets In Service

Tootles

I take it she's on the range as a target ?....won't you find that bit heartbreaking??..

....I don't know if I'd want to go and see a tank I'd 'owned' and 'lived in' if she was in a battered and smashed state...for fiscal reasons as well as emotional mind you!.....mainly because if I saw 'my' tank all forlorn up on a moor taking a beating I'd invariably have to start some daft scheme involving loads of money I don't have to 'rescue' her ! :-D

Tell you what its about Bob, something to do with fitting a solid bit of my past to my present. I know it seems stupid, but somehow it means a lot. Many years ago, I had a Morris MRA1, used to show it with Tony Hayter and the North West MVT. One day, an old chap came up, looked over the truck, and burst into tears. It had been 'his' when it was a Murex Welder, drove it all over BAOR with REME. He later sent me a picture of him standing next to it.

Something of that stuck inside me. I just want a 'now' photo of me stood by the front wing of that bl**dy tank!!:red:

No nothing wrong with that thinking at all mate! ...I do entirely understand ! :cheesy:

....My now very sadly gone cousin Dave Smith was a Chieftain driver in the Guards from 1978 'til I think about 1990 and always talked very fondly of his time in service most of which was in the BOAR and I'd guess he'd probably say the same.....

Best of luck and very much look forward to seeing the photos if you don't mind showing them to us when you get them :)

• 1 year later...
Tell you what its about Bob, something to do with fitting a solid bit of my past to my present. I know it seems stupid, but somehow it means a lot. Many years ago, I had a Morris MRA1, used to show it with Tony Hayter and the North West MVT. One day, an old chap came up, looked over the truck, and burst into tears. It had been 'his' when it was a Murex Welder, drove it all over BAOR with REME. He later sent me a picture of him standing next to it.

Something of that stuck inside me. I just want a 'now' photo of me stood by the front wing of that bl**dy tank!!:red:

This is what our great hobby is all about......................

• 4 years later...
On 2/22/2013 at 10:38 AM, Tootles said:

Next, Raglan Street, Belfast, (now long gone, thank God), during a bad riot February 1971. Thats me hanging out of the turret, getting info from some Gunner types!

raglan street.jpg

Hi Tootles,

I am a researcher working at a tv company called Whitworth Media - are these photos owned by you? If so could we use them for a documentary that we are making? I'm not sure you will even see this but it would be great to talk! 

Best wishes

Will Davis-Coleman