1991 Scarce "Sparse Pattern" Desert DPM Variant Lightweight Jacket

wdbikemad

006.jpg

Not especially rare, even though now about 21 years old and becoming scarce, but a 1st pattern GW1 British Army Lightweight Combat Jacket in the rare variant "sparse pattern" desert DPM cammo.....a wider, lesser print...........this is nothing other than a variant, no doubt due to the rush in '91 to get this stuff manufactured and issued, but is none-the-less seldom encountered nowadays..........

The first pattern desert DPM's were based on the tropical combats of the time, the jacket being almost identical, but the trousers had differences, lacking the rear hip patch pocket of the jungle issue plus the button facility for the fly.......the fabric too, was all-cotton (for comfort) rather than the poly-cotton of the jungle pattern............later issues were in the aertex "teabag" fabric, prior to replacement by desert combats of the CS95 pattern...........

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

Love this pattern,lucky to own a shirt,trs and body armour cover.

Was there a helmet cover and bush hat made in this particular pattern?

I've never actually looked for it Harry, but I should imagine there was. I haven't really collected the desert gear in the past, but am now thinking that it might be a good idea whilst still fairly easy to acquire......

The "regular" desert stuff is easily obtainable and still reasonably priced but the sparse stuff is not easy to come by and if/when you do find any be prepared to pay top dollar but there will always be jammy barstewards that find the stuff at car boot sales for a pound a pop:wow::wow::wow: