24 V charging with 2-12 volt trickle chargers

joeferret

For Ferret battery charging i have seen where some use a 24 V trickle charger.................I have 2-12 volt BATTERY TENDER trickle chargers would that be ok???? I would hook each one to each battery to it's own neg and pos terminals....I would not be disconnecting any battery cables.....I would plug both in after each Ferret trip as i would only be driving about every 2 or 3 weeks....

Thanks to all.......

Joe,

I cant fault you for your enthusiasm but hurry up and slow down.

I have offered you my phone number for a chat but haven't had any reply as yet.

We have done over just about all our MV 24volt fleet, as I think I have posted elsewhere before, with CTEK 12 volt output 110v input chargers. They have a nice quick disconnect that can be tucked out of sight.

We fit a disconnect betwen the two batteries and the job is done. The only modification we have to do is to solder on new larger ring terminals to the charger leads. These are a permanent install on the batteries and apart from fluid checks from time to time we dont have to delve in to get at them.

The CTEK units are small and stow away nicely and have a good set of charging lights on the front face and have overcharge protection.

Really like them and they are our standard now.

Thus far we have fitted the to:-

2 X Bedford MJs

Sabre

Spartan

Stormer

M818

FV436

Ferret

and many civvy pieces of 12 volt kit ranging from speedboats to tractors.

my 2 cents worth

R

CTEK1.jpg

CTEK2.jpg

Edited by robin craig

Thanks Robin:

Just trying to get everything ready as i bought the 1954 Ferret today and i have a transporter picking it up wednesday...It will be on a 2000 mile trip they say that will take 5 days to get to me....In researching things i found out there are different ways to do things for the Ferret....Like in the wheel hubs/bevel boxes some have told me they use sae 50 motor oil...EP 75/90 gear oil....EP 80/90 gear oil....Just gear oil...Grease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then EP90 gear oil.....

Then there is the fluid flywheel some have told me they use sae 30 motor oil....sae 40 motor oil...Hydraulic fluid....Transmission fluid..G4....G5......I just want to do what is right.........

Thanks to all....

Joe

What you will get is a lot of conflicting information, and you have to be careful.

I would recommend Andys site for reference: http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/

Look at "it might help"

All I can tell you is what I have put in mine:

Engine: A classic Mono-grade Oil - Low detergent - SAE30W (morris lubricants golden film)

Gearbox: As above

Air cleaner: As above

Transfer box + all bevel boxes + Steering boxes: EP90 GL4 grade gear oil

Braking system: DOT 4 brake fluid

Fluid Fluwheel ISO 10 Hydraulic fluid (Morris Liquimatic No.1)

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=125&product=Liquimatic+No+1+ISO+10+Hydraulic+Oil

if u are driving it every two weeks or so with good batts fitted it should start fine with- out batts being on trickle charge all the time toolmans list of lubricants is pretty spot on .

It might be alot more than that that's why is use trickle chargers on things......I'm just not sure if it's ok to hook up 1-12 volt BATTERY TENDER trickle charger to each battery WITHOUT having to remove a cable from the battery...

What you will get is a lot of conflicting information, and you have to be careful.

I would recommend Andys site for reference: http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/

Look at "it might help"

All I can tell you is what I have put in mine:

Engine: A classic Mono-grade Oil - Low detergent - SAE30W (morris lubricants golden film)

Gearbox: As above

Air cleaner: As above

Transfer box + all bevel boxes + Steering boxes: EP90 GL4 grade gear oil

Braking system: DOT 4 brake fluid

Fluid Fluwheel ISO 10 Hydraulic fluid (Morris Liquimatic No.1)

http://www.morrislubricantsonline.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=125&product=Liquimatic+No+1+ISO+10+Hydraulic+Oil

Thank you

It might be alot more than that that's why is use trickle chargers on things......I'm just not sure if it's ok to hook up 1-12 volt BATTERY TENDER trickle charger to each battery WITHOUT having to remove a cable from the battery...

As landyandy said previously you will have to disconnect the batteries and charge them separately.

I'd check with Battery Tender and ask them. Their website technical info page shows two 12V batteries in series with a charger on each so it looks possible. The main thing is to ensure the charger outputs have no earth reference, otherwise you'll end up shorting out one of the batteries.

http://batterytender.com/resources/connecting-batteries-chargers.htm

Andy

I'd check with Battery Tender and ask them. Their website technical info page shows two 12V batteries in series with a charger on each so it looks possible. The main thing is to ensure the charger outputs have no earth reference, otherwise you'll end up shorting out one of the batteries.

http://batterytender.com/resources/connecting-batteries-chargers.htm

Andy

I'm not the brightest person when people try to explain things to me sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other....The link that you provided showed diagrams which i fully comprehended....

Thank you very much....Thanks to all...

Sincerly,

Joe

I agree with Griff.

I rarely actually charge my batteries up separately (except when I give them a boost to desulphate them). I have fitted a battery cut-off on the negative on the first battery and "touch wood" haven't had an issue. I run the ferret every 3 to 4 weeks during the winter, probably more frequently in summer. I have recently fitted a NOS 2 speed generator and find that 10 mins on fast idle is more than enough, the voltage is up to 16v with ease.

The only thing I have found is that after a few weeks it can take some starting, it's a fuel issue. After a few weeks I find that the fuel needs priming. As you will find out it's nigh on impossible to get to the priming handle on the fuel pump, so I "gently" pressurise the fuel tank to prime it. After that - it starts on the button, and much reduces the wear and tear and drain on the batteries.

Fitting a battery cut of is an essential to prevent drain.

yes after a few weeks of standing i find it will start then die then bit of a churn to get fuel to carb short burst on starter then off she goes and i dont tend to use choke at all , no batt cutoff switch fitted to mine until i have a problem with current drain whilst standing i will not fit one but agree in principle they are a good idea.