Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang - WD Ariel !!!!

wdbikemad

Well it never occurred to me to watch such a film, but I would have, just to see the W/NG!!

Steve, did you at some time have a list (or part of) for the workshops, as stamped on various brass plates?

Ron

All I know Ron, is that "Command" workshops were UK-based and "Base" workshops overseas (eg - "4" base workshop was in Cairo !!!)......but as for the auxiliary "B" vehicle workshops that ran during and post-WW2, the REME Museum at Arborfield (Berks, South-West of Reading) has the most complete (and largely incomplete !!!) list of these.........you need to speak with my old mate Brian Baxter for further info...........:-D

Hope all's well with you and yours Ron....Vidya and me are looking forward to catching up with your good self this year....!!!! Vee promises to be saucier than ever at Goodwood in September........:cool2:

Steve, did you at some time have a list (or part of) for the workshops, as stamped on various brass plates?

Ron

Hi Ron,

If you are trying to identify any, let me know. I worked for many years at a Command Workshop, that dated back to wartime and still keep coming across the code for it on engines particularly. We still used the same ID as was used during the war, right through to the mid-90's . I have a list somewhere, but can remember a few.

Our W/NG was rebuilt (to "Class 1") in September 1945 by "B 189"...........and the Norton the same year by "501 Cmd Wkshps IEME", who I later found out were "501 Command Workshops, Indian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers" located at Chaklala near the old North-West Frontier in India..........there was a plate on the toolbox, plus the piston in the engine was marked "501 IEME" on the crown and the entire thing actually cast by them in their workshops, a dead copy of the standard Norton item and also with the workshop details beautifully cast within the piston body...........:D

Look forward to seeing you both Steve. Give me a shout if you ever get to Poole. Richard this is the workshop plate in question. B199. Ron

Hi Ron,

The number B199 relates to an Army Auxiliary Workshop. These were contractors to the Ministry of Supply and quite often garages, engineering shops or manufacturers service depots. Many years ago I had asked Brian Baxter at REME Museum, Arborfield, if there was a list. He did not know of one at the time. A few have been identified, one being Henlys garage at Weston Super Mare, which overhauled Austin Champs. My M20 has B180, 3-3-1944 on it.

Army Command and Base Workshops used a different code as far as I am aware. For instance, the one I worked in was originally 14 Comd Wksp ( changing in early Sixties to 44 Comd Wksp), there code was ECO2, which related to Eastern Command as it was in their area during WW2.

regards, Richard

A friend of mine is REME and he asked the historian if he could shed any light on Auxiliary Workshops as my M20 has a plate with B198 on it. Sadly, as mentioned in an earlier post, their list is full of holes.

If anyone knows anything I'd love to hear it, as would the REME museum.