XXX Corps run September 2014

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Sir,

thank you for your reply, I have emailed and had almost no information and I have to decide soon where to go this year, I have just had waffle back, I expected dates, travel details, an itinery, a list of camp sites, events, etc., etc., as it is £ 290 plus getting myself too and from the port at 8MPG

I have had nothing concrete back, just " we do not have details yet but hope to by June, no we do not have the route agreed with the towns en route other than in principle, we are waiting for the rubber stamps" ?

I rather liked the idea of this event as it is a 70th anniversary one off, but the lack of information is really well, disconcerting

I won't be forwarding any money until I get this information, I wondered if it was just me so thought I'd ask after and internet search only brought up posts on a few forums such as this in Google.

After all for the cost of getting to and from the port, I can take myself the rest of the way for less than they are asking

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck, I wish you well, but I now have 2 options, go to Normandy in June, and know what I am getting, or wait until the END of June in the HOPE that you get permission for this event in Holland in September.

By the end of June, my option for the start of June is firmly in the toilet of past history, I would be left hoping that my last 75th anniversary event window materialises 8 weeks before I would be due to go, if you have this much mooted 600 participants and 200 vehicles then surely you MUST already know what you are doing and have permissions ? That should have been the FIRST thing done, not the last ?

How can people arrange time off work etc., 8 weeks in advance when they don't know they can go ?

It all seems so flawed, Cost is cost, no matter how it's broken down, sorry but your logic falls flat, Someone could organise an MVT rally in Outer Mongolia at only £ 5 per head with free Yak milk included, if every vehicle pays for ITSELF to get to Outer Mongolia ( and back ) !

How on earth can people be expected to commit holiday allocation, £ 290 sent off to an organisation that provides you with no concrete information, the work and maintenance involved in getting your vehicle ready, plus the cost ( another £225 in my case ) of U.K. travel fuel, making my trip FIVE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS not £ 290, plus the dreaded pink slip negotiation to get 2 weeks away from the MemShaib when you can't tell anyone what is happening until 8 weeks before ?

I don't want to rain on anyone's MV parade but I'm out of your "hope it happens" MV parade

• 2 weeks later...
Good luck, I wish you well, but I now have 2 options, go to Normandy in June, and know what I am getting, or wait until the END of June in the HOPE that you get permission for this event in Holland in September.

By the end of June, my option for the start of June is firmly in the toilet of past history, I would be left hoping that my last 75th anniversary event window materialises 8 weeks before I would be due to go, if you have this much mooted 600 participants and 200 vehicles then surely you MUST already know what you are doing and have permissions ? That should have been the FIRST thing done, not the last ?

How can people arrange time off work etc., 8 weeks in advance when they don't know they can go ?

It all seems so flawed, Cost is cost, no matter how it's broken down, sorry but your logic falls flat, Someone could organise an MVT rally in Outer Mongolia at only £ 5 per head with free Yak milk included, if every vehicle pays for ITSELF to get to Outer Mongolia ( and back ) !

How on earth can people be expected to commit holiday allocation, £ 290 sent off to an organisation that provides you with no concrete information, the work and maintenance involved in getting your vehicle ready, plus the cost ( another £225 in my case ) of U.K. travel fuel, making my trip FIVE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS not £ 290, plus the dreaded pink slip negotiation to get 2 weeks away from the MemShaib when you can't tell anyone what is happening until 8 weeks before ?

I don't want to rain on anyone's MV parade but I'm out of your "hope it happens" MV parade

Same experience with myself on this one, emailed them, had no details back whatsoever, not even a start and finish date to the so-called "event". Very poor showing in my opinion, after a promise of a reply within 48 hours - a week ago - my deadline for putting in an annual leave form with my firm has passed. N

Not only that but I discovered the promotional videos they were sending out were of trips done by a different group to this XXX Corps project 70 altogether

Same experience with myself on this one, emailed them, had no details back whatsoever, not even a start and finish date to the so-called "event". Very poor showing in my opinion, after a promise of a reply within 48 hours - a week ago - my deadline for putting in an annual leave form with my firm has passed. N

Not only that but I discovered the promotional videos they were sending out were of trips done by a different group to this XXX Corps project 70 altogether

I booked my annual leave last year to encompass all dates I wanted to be in Holland for regardless of whether on this tour, another or going alone... because I want to be there... and at worst will make my own travel plans, find suitable accommodation along the way and see where it takes me.

If you really wanted to be there for this anniversary, you surely would have taken the same approach, rather than complain that you now cannot get the time off because someone didnt communicate to you in time.

Will be in Holland and will have a damn good time.

T.

I booked my annual leave last year to encompass all dates I wanted to be in Holland for regardless of whether on this tour, another or going alone... because I want to be there... and at worst will make my own travel plans, find suitable accommodation along the way and see where it takes me.

If you really wanted to be there for this anniversary, you surely would have taken the same approach, rather than complain that you now cannot get the time off because someone didnt communicate to you in time.

Will be in Holland and will have a damn good time.

T.

You miss the point old chap I think, I have never taken my MV abroad NOT on an organised MVT event, some of us don't do that, it's not something to be criticised over, just the same as some people travel alone to Machu Pichu whilst some of us go on a Thomas Cook holiday to Greece. I don't want to trundle miles abroad in my 73 year old truck all on my lonesome, I want the reassurance of an organised event. That doesn't lay me open to a slagging off, it just makes me, well, me.

But if someone purports to be organising such an event, then they should be able to give enquirers details of said event

You miss the point old chap I think, I have never taken my MV abroad NOT on an organised MVT event, some of us don't do that, it's not something to be criticised over, just the same as some people travel alone to Machu Pichu whilst some of us go on a Thomas Cook holiday to Greece. I don't want to trundle miles abroad in my 73 year old truck all on my lonesome, I want the reassurance of an organised event. That doesn't lay me open to a slagging off, it just makes me, well, me.

But if someone purports to be organising such an event, then they should be able to give enquirers details of said event

Sorry if you though I was slagging you off - I wasnt intending to do that - more an expression of suprise that you'd not just booked the time off if it was something you wanted to consider doing. I guess different companies approach annual leave differently and maybe am lucky that mine allows me to cancel booked leave if I change my mind.

I take your point that you'd rather be part of a tour than go it alone - I used to... and I assume that if everything goes well, you can have a great time. I've been on two Normandy tours. 1) Pete Gray 50th - we had absolutely no idea where we were going to be camping (other than somewhere in Carentan), or what the itinerary was when we got on the ferry after the Southsea show ended, let alone 6 months before the event was due to occur. 2) The MVT 60th Normandy tour - When we broke down, everyone drove off and left us to sort ourselves out... noone stopped... so from personal experience, am happy to be self-sufficient if necessary.

For this event's communications, so far when I've had a question, I've emailed Martin and have had a response within a couple of weeks... the start and end dates have been published, so have the costs, vehicle and individual application forms sent out and returned. What comes next, that's up to the organisation committee. At this stage, it isnt realistic to do much more than perhaps send out key milestone dates for activities undertaken between now and the Ferry - too much is liable to change and I doubt it's clear what the daily movements are likely to be once over there.

Eindhoven... 70th anniversary online data to date (that I can find).

Dutch Tourist Board... http://www.vvveindhoven.nl/en/agenda/events/agenda/fakkeldefile/1126 - not much of any help... except it's on the 18th Sept... but has a link to the "18th Sept" webpage... http://www.stichting18september.nl/English/stichting.php - this at least gives you an idea of what might happen based on the 2013 itinerary, which it says was subject to change... absolutely nothing published for this year's 70th Anniversary... so if the town of Eindhoven hasnt published their itinerary, you can hardly expect this event's organisers to tell us exactly where we will be going and when.

On the basis of the above for Eindhoven, am not suprised, or concerned that with 6 months to go, we dont have all the details yet.

T.

I took no offence, as I said, I think you just missed the point that's all. I'm not a bold traveller abroad in my vehicle, just a follower and plodder. I have neither the time nor experience to be otherwise, and as for leave, I have a limited amount and a limited window in which I can apply for it, and as you surmised, once booked, I am budgered ! All I can do to change it then it to try to do a mutual swop.

It does surprise me to be frank, as a prior poster said, I don't see how someone can get people and vehicles signed up and paid into an event, when to date, there simply seems to be NO event.

Time will tell, but sadly it's not on my side on this one