Welbike registry / history how many exst ?

jmyakovich

I am interested in starting a Welbike registry, please include the frame number, present country Welbike resides, either

restored or original and if known, where it served during the war and any brief history you might know.

Please include if it is a Mark I , Mark II etc..but do not include any personal information that may lead to any theft etc.

This is simply an effort to try and Identify how many Welbikes still exist out of the 3954 that were made.

Thanks for your time !

Yes I do own one, #3088, currently undergoing restoration, i understand the trepidation on anyones part.1

Edited by jmyakovich

Thanks Ron,

Yes, I have a registry, 60 original Welbikes in it, but am not so sure all the owners will want their numbers published??

And I don't know you from Adam, so please introduce yourself a bit etc. do you have one yourself??

Only from 3 maybe we know where it served during the war, most were however never used at all!!

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

welbike@welbike.net

Sadly, any register only captures those who read this and other Forums..........the WD M20 and 16H websites only feature a small percentage of the BSA's and Norton's that probably still survive across the globe, and at best any "register" can only provide a limited list of survivors of any make or model.......

It's a good idea though ! I'd like to see similar for the Flying Flea and James ML.......:-D

I have expanded my Royal Enfield WD Models Register, so that it now caters for the WD/D, WD/C, WD/CO, WD/G, WD/L and WD/RE models. To anybody with such a motorcycle who hasn't been in contact with me yet: please send me an email!

Cheers,

Jan

wd.register(at)gmail.com

• 4 months later...

Hi.. I have been offered an supposedly original welbike frame.. (no. 3790) which appears to have a centre stand like the one in the picture on page 29 of Peter Millers "welbike to corgi" book..

Any idea of what it is worth and is it genuine?

Regards Chris.

Now the guy is offering the engine... He has not sent me the engine no. yet though...

Also what are peoples thoughts.....how much of a welbike has to be original parts to make it authentic? Engine and frame or a larger percentage of parts?

Chris, Any pictures? that frame is a MKII and had the C number C5154590 from contract S1946 (not the date), plate should be rivetted to frame.

Price is difficult to say without picture, and re. orginality, waiting to find the original parts could be a long wait, always possible to restore with repro parts, and when original stuff becomes available, replace it.

Hope this helps, please let me have the engine number as it becomes known, have one on the register 10 digits after and 33 before this one!

Cheers,

Lex

welbike(at)welbike.net

Hi Lex..

What I thought really... They frame is in Delhi in the hands of a person many on this forum have warned against..

From the limited pictures I have seen it looks the part and the frame number does appear to be a late Mk11 series 11.

No sign of the contract plate although from the grainy pictures I have seen so far there appears to be the rivet holes..

I would not be foolish enough to buy without viewing and I am lucky that I am able to visit New Delhi with my work at quite short notice... But still slightly concerned about the centre stand.. Apart from that one picture in Peter Millers book I have not seen one on a welbike.

Regards Chris.

Edited by cdfw
spelling

But still slightly concerned about the centre stand.. Apart from that one picture in Peter Millers book I have not seen one on a welbike.

Regards Chris.

Just a note to add.

I know of one other with a stand fitted. It belongs to Welbike UK and a stand was fitted to the Mk1 frame and possibly some other modifications.

They believe that it was sent back either to the factory (and revamped/re-spayed etc) or done in a military workshop. So it could be just a useful thing that some were fitted with.

Chris, Any pictures? that frame is a MKII and had the C number C5154590 from contract S1946 (not the date), plate should be rivetted to frame.

Price is difficult to say without picture, and re. orginality, waiting to find the original parts could be a long wait, always possible to restore with repro parts, and when original stuff becomes available, replace it.

Hope this helps, please let me have the engine number as it becomes known, have one on the register 10 digits after and 33 before this one!

Cheers,

Lex

welbike(at)welbike.net

Hi Lexc

Just reading this thread and been after a Welbike for a whie now.

Got the details of one in Italy, maybe a second one but no info on that.

Im also looking at a Universal Carrier in with a deal.

The Welbike numbers I have are

FRAME No 278

ENGINE No XXE2793

Which would make it an early MK1 by my Welbike book.

Just a warning to those that don't know.. there ARE Scammers out there selling Welbike's that don't exist.. One member has recently been scammed out of a lot of cash.. I would suggest that unless the seller is recommended to you by someone you know who can be trusted or you can go & see the bike yourself then don't part with any cash..

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?30216-Stollen-Welbike

Edited by Marmite!!

Thanks Hoseman and Marmite, I know of the scams, one picture of mine was used in a scam! another was on Ebay Brazil, and an aquintance bought it, paid, and never heard anything back!!, or received the thing!! all money gone, and not cheap too!

Incidently I bought the Italy one, it is indeed a MKI, A friend in Milan checked on the owner (think he has posted here before), and all seems ok.

Cheers,

Lex

welbike(at)welbike.net

Hi Lex .

The Guy in Delhi has replied with engine number XXA 34457 so it isn't an original WD engine with the XXE prefix...

Shame it would have been nice to have the frame and matching engine..

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

The Guy in Delhi has refused my offer and will accept not less than £2000 (or so he tells me) for the basic frame..

It will now have to be a replica frame.. Shame..

Edited by cdfw
spelling

OK, seems a bit high, paid about 3200 pounds for the Italian job, and that came with forks, wheels, engine, carb etc.

Have also heard that the frame is not his to sell anyway!! a Dutchman sent some stuff over to have it replicated, and they sort of got lost! this may be one of the parts.

Have got the Italian one here at home now, and some nice green colour remains on the parts, so def. a MKI, have found one original MKI tank already, so now antother and a sadlle, and exhaust, and we're ready to restore.

Cheers,

Lex

Jesus..! Sounds like I had a lucky escape if it's not his to sell..

Are we talking about the same Guy, NM auto exports or 'Sheetmetals' is his new ebay name.

The frame is stripped to bare metal with a covering of rust in the grainy pictures I have seen. No forks, bars, seat or even foot rests.. Maybe he is trying to (or already has) sold the parts separately...

Thanks again Lex.

Regards Chris.

PS. Are you at War and Peace this year?

Hi Chris,

Will hear more about the parts, def. same guy!!

Stalls A27-30 sort of where we normally were, but not on the end of row (was A1-A2)

Might have a running MKII there for sale, and will bring my Cushman, not for sale! look out for a project Kettenkrad, I'll be near!

Cheers,

Lex

Haha Ron,

Well, they laid out the jumble site as much as possible as at Beltring, that means we're at the same outside block, near the entrance, just not at the end, but more in the middle, seems all stalls are online now, on the W&P website.

I had a look at the new site last March, so have seen it with my own eyes, looks promising!

Cheers,

Lex

• 5 months later...

Have also heard that the frame is not his to sell anyway!! a Dutchman sent some stuff over to have it replicated, and they sort of got lost! this may be one of the parts.

Are these parts still 'lost' or did the 'Dutchman' ever get them back? I was just wondering if there was a frame number of the frame that went missing so as to be sure of a positive ID, as I am still looking at supposedly original frames from Delhi and would hate to get burnt.. I know that the scams are becoming alot more common these days but I would only part with money after physically seeing the bits.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards Chris.