War & Peace Revival 2013 - bikes wanted for display!

matchlesswdg3

Many of you will know that Rex Cadman's War and Peace Show is being held at the Folkestone Racecourse this year, in July as usual. The new site is just off the M20 and is styled as a "Revival" as Rex wants to have a bit of freedom to revitalise the concept. Anyhow, I have long suggested that its about time there was a decent coherent WW2 allied motorcycle display of the type the NOBS puts on at Goodwood each year (ask Ron). I live close to the venue so am quite keen to see if I can get this organised this year. Rex also seems keen and is talking about a prominent position. OK - I know a lot of you attend the show and some of you bring bikes. Interested in getting together a display? If you are, email me and I can supply more details and start compiling a list of possible attendees and then from there, get organising. I am aiming for a good quality display with appropriate dressing and am working on the basis you can drive on and off the display so your bike is safe with you overnight. If interested, email me on fergusanckorn@icloud.com. Cheers! Ferg

It's a good idea Fergus, with a bit of proposed cohesion with bikes rather than scattered about all over the place.....

I think the sticking point for some however, including me, is the new location and distance for many......the closeness to the motorway is good if you're transporting a bike from some distance away and not really much further than the old venue......though in the same case it's an additional burden if riding there, as most of our older WD machines are not motorway-friendly and rely on back roads to get there........I rode to the old location from north Hampshire some years ago now, back roads all the way, and was knackered when I arrived....!! I think another potential burden for some will be the "facilities fee" (per bike ?) of around £25 that we don't always pay at other shows, limiting the exhibited numbers.........

Of course, for those local to the new venue much of the above is irrelevant, but for many living a fair distance away this may prove a large obstacle.......

PS - see you at Goodwood this year ! We are staying for the weekend, plus with 2 bikes ! :D

I concur with Steve Here Ferg. Lately I only attend W&P on a day trip with mates in a car. The distance is too far for me. Goodwood however is much nearer and we don't have to pay £25 and we get fed and watered. Ron

I concur with Steve Here Ferg. Lately I only attend W&P on a day trip with mates in a car. The distance is too far for me. Goodwood however is much nearer and we don't have to pay £25 and we get fed and watered. Ron

Just my 10 pence worth...yes but Goodwood does cost punters £125 for the weekend per person with camping £155 on top (and £54 for a grandstand per person) and has massive corporate sponsorship so they can afford to look after exhibitors.

I know distance is an issue, but may I suggest at this stage that if you are interested in being part of a display, forget the usual W&P charge and let me know and I can put you on the mailing list. I have yet to talk about costs with Rex - let me see what I can work out. But think - this is the biggest historic mv show and the motorcycles are badly represented in terms of a coherent display and the public just love them! Make up your mind later, but let me know if you want me to put you on my email list so I can date you on developments. Cheers! Ferg

By all means keep me informed Ferg.

Paul the finances of the shows and the money charged and profits made by the organisers are out of my hands and not really my concern. It's just what me and my mates enjoy or get from it that interests me. Cheers Ron